[BLOG] Eurogamer 2013: War of the Overworld (guest blog)

Movian

[BLOG] Eurogamer 2013: War of the Overworld (guest blog)

Post by Movian »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

So it’s a Friday afternoon and I am finishing up work for the day when Lonesamurai PM's me saying “Hey want a beta key for War for the Overworld?”  (I picked up a spare beta key for STEAM from the awesome guys at the stand at Eurogamer 2013 ~Lone)

To which I reply “Huh? Is that a new game or something” but already I feel something tingling at the back of my mind like you forgot to get a present for your anniversary or that you are on your way to work and realize that you have the day off.

Then suddenly before my eyes flash visions of imps, Horned Reapers and digging for gold all accompanied by an unforgettable evil narration.

I then dropped everything to install and play the beta that can ONLY be described as the TRUE spiritual successor to one of the greatest game I ever played in my teens. If you ever played either of the originals (and if you haven’t GO DO IT NOW!), then you will IMMEDIATELY be slapped in the face by the back of an evil hand as the waves of nostalgia overcome you.

The interface received a makeover but everything has retained the iconic feel of the original Dungeon Keeper games.

I quickly found myself digging out rooms to lure more monsters into my domain to create an army to thwart a rival “Under lord”.
I played through the 2 “Tutorial” levels of the Bedrock beta and found myself cursing for more story, to hear MORE of the evil tutor’s voice.

The only two times the experience was let down was when the so far fantastic voice acting had its standard lowered by a cliché and not quite as well done section of voice acting by a noble hero who descended into my dungeon (The Fool!!, he died a painful death I assure you!).

The other was that unsurprisingly the game appears to be missing some of the iconic imagery of its spiritual ancestors. The Horned Reaper and “The Mistress” two characters that became a bold symbol of the originals, however I do not hold that against the game as Intellectual Property is a big thing and not something companies would allow the use of lightly.

If I were to give the game a score purely from the beta it would be a solid 9.0 out of 10.0 with room for improved voice acting (to bring it up to the level of my under tutor) and also to beg whomever currently holds the rights to the images that Bullfrog made famous all those years ago.

When this comes out, it will fill a hole that was created by a simple trailer that came with one of his beloved games that until now had been turned into a lie…

For more info on the game, head over to https://wftogame.com/ and also follow Stumpy the Imp on Facebookand Twitter

(Massive thanks to the WFTOGame team at Eurogamer for the codes and putting up with my fanboy jumping around and to Movian, who I dangled this in front of on facebook to try :P ~Lone)