[BLOG] Star Citizen dev teams up with Kingdom Come dev in mutual information partnership

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] Star Citizen dev teams up with Kingdom Come dev in mutual information partnership

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Gaming development is like most types of business, in that you are always competing with other companies offering similar products to yours for a bigger slice of the current market share. Techniques, technologies and prototypes therefore are usually jealously guarded, which makes the decision reached by the developers of the games Star Citizen and Kingdom Come all the more rare, unusual and frankly quite inspiring in a few ways.

The two companies have entered into an unofficial partnership which sees them sharing information about certain tricks they've learned with the game engine (CryEngine) both games share, mutually benefiting both companies in the long run by leading to improved versions of both Star Citizen and Kingdom Come.

The move was detailed in a recent blog post by Star Citizen's Chris Roberts highlighting not only the other game and its Kickstarter but the bond between the two companies as they trade information back and forth.

Kingdom Come doesn’t just look like a great game, though: it looks like something we on the Star Citizen team could learn from. The characters and outfits I saw working in-engine in the trailer impressed me so much that I contacted the team to talk about what was going on under the hood. Star Citizen doesn’t need peasants and knights… but it does need a robust character creation system for the persistent universe. And that technology is exactly what Warhorse is building for the CryEngine.

The good news is: the team at Warhorse isn’t just an incredible talented group of people… they’re also kindred spirits who are willing to share the work they’ve done! We will be sharing with them the tricks for working with CryEngine we’ve learned over the last 18 months and they will be letting us in on the secrets and the tech behind what they’re doing! I’ve always said that independent developers should stick together, and the potential good for both games that can come from this unofficial partnership is proof positive!

This lack of paranoia and suspicion is refreshing to see! Let's hope both games benefit from this exchange of tips and tricks.

Blog post is here.
Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!