[BLOG] Starbound Getting Orbital Activity

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] Starbound Getting Orbital Activity

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

I love Starbound. It's a nice chill game that lets you just get on with playing the game but also has a set of missions you can do if you choose to do that. If you've never played it, think Terraria but less complicated and with more species you can be. I like to play as the bird-like Avian race myself.

The game spent quite a while in development and Early Access before it released last year, but developer Chucklefish continues to improve the game and the next patch they're going to be adding will add new locations for you to explore in between the planets you can hop between. This includes derelict space crafts, merchant ships and more.

To aid you in this (because as you might be able to guess some of these places are pretty hostile to life!) the game will be having giant mech suits added to allow you to engage in extra-vehicular activity, which means you can explore abandoned space stations and derelicts all you want. You'll be able to customise these suits, adding weapons, painting them in custom paint jobs and much more. Updating it and keeping it repaired will be crucial to continue to plumb the depths of ever harder and more dangerous space wreckage.

To make travelling between planets, planetoids and locations between orbits, the navigational interface is getting an update too. Now you'll be able to zoom all the way out to see what is orbiting around the star you're currently in the system of, and the map is active which means you can see where everything is in their orbital paths - including your own craft. You can even watch other crafts moving around so you can intercept a merchant at where they're going to be next. No word on whether this means we'll get space pirates though - it'd be a logical next step I imagine.

Chucklefish haven't given a date of release for this update yet, but keep your eyes on the Starbound website for up to date information.
Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!