[BLOG] Indie Game Review: Beasts Battle

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] Indie Game Review: Beasts Battle

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Right now there are a lot of games being ported over from mobile to Steam for the PC market. This isn't a bad thing, especially if the game happens to be a genre that works well on both a mobile and the PC platform.

Beasts Battle is a turn-based strategy game that was developed and published by the same studio, Greenolor Studio. The game costs £1.59 on the UK store, and $1.99 on the US and for that you get a very simple little game. You take the role of a character building and dispatching an army of animals into battlegrounds with opposing animal armies. You expand your army by completing the levels, letting you move onto new levels, earning you gold to purchase more soldiers and unlocking new types of soldiers.

The strategy of this game comes in the choices you make both in building your army and in dispatching them in the levels. do you choose to spend gold on a new stack of soldiers to fill your extra army slot, or to boost your depleted stack of existing warriors? Do you then split that bolstered stack to cover more ground and gain an extra attack or keep them as one to make sure your single blow hits much harder and your opponents do much less damage on their own hits? What animal soldier do you choose to fill that last slot with? These are all choices the game makes you decide on before each battle.

I think this is an alright game. It has a nice art style, although somewhat baffling and requiring you to actively check what it is you're using or indeed fighting against. I mean the Turtles (your first type of soldier and big melee fighters) look like turtle men, but the bulls and the cats are much harder to determine just what they are on a first look. The game does provide little hints and tips when you first encounter a situation, and the things it doesn't cover you can usually figure out pretty fast with a little trial and error.

However, the gold you spend is usually lost if you spend a lot, go into a battle and then lose. You then need to go back and grind for more gold, just to be able to rebuild enough to progress and that's a little irritating. It wouldn't be so bad if the game was different enough each battle to make you not mind replaying through levels but... it's just not. If I can compare it to another game I've reviewed with a similar method of level progression, Forge of Gods did it much better. Both games have a similar army building mechanic, advancing to meet and defeat your enemies to progress. However, FoG also has ways to earn resources outside of the battles; you can capture, summon and evolve your creatures to improve your army. Beasts Battle... just has the fighting. And buying to replay over and over. Which doesn't keep your interest too long unfortunately.

Over all, Beasts Battle is not a bad game. It's just not really excellent either. Still, at such a low price if you want something you can play quickly, this might be one to look into. Oh, and it's available to play online as well.

6/10

Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!