[BLOG] Overwatch Community Offer To Help Player Upgrade PC

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] Overwatch Community Offer To Help Player Upgrade PC

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Sometimes for all the terrible stuff we hear about gamers in the news, both mainstream and from gaming-related places, it's nice to know that some people give gamers a good name.

[video width="957" height="536" webm="http://www.sanitarium.fm/wp-content/upl ... aniel.webm" autoplay="true"][/video]

The video above is a gif that an Overwatch player posted to Reddit, wanting to show off his Play of the Game as Reinhardt. As you can tell, their machine wasn't exactly top of the line which is one reason why they were so happy with their being awarded Play of the Game.

"I run Overwatch on a potato so it's hard to get a good [Play of the Game], but when I do it is satisfying," he wrote.

For those unaware, people tend to describe tech as a 'potato' when it's really old. Most of the time it's hyperbole but this player might have had a point. He has to play the game at 800x600 with all settings at low to get the game running, and even then he apparently is excited to hit 30fps. His specs included an AMD Radeon 8400 with only 512 mb of RAM, which is 200 mb short of Overwatch's minimum requirements to run the game. It's a miracle that the game has been running, but there was a Youtuber called LowSpecGamer who had a guide that has allowed the player to run it so far.

Anyway, a few hours later he checked Reddit to find that a number of replies had come in and some were offering him replacement computer parts to help him better run the game. "What GPU do you have? I have an EVGA 660 I could send you," wrote one player. When there were questions about whether the power supply would be able to handle it, someone else offered him one that could. And it went on and on.

Of course, he has decided not to just rely on the donations and with the help of another Redditor he is picking out a few other parts to help him bring together his new build that are within his small budget. Thanks to the generosity of the Overwatch community though, the biggest expense will be Windows 10 - everything else more expensive has already been covered.

"I'm at a loss for words. Watching a community band together just to help one person, if this all works out and I end up getting this new PC I'll probably break down crying."

As I said at the beginning of this article, we so often hear about the bad that sometimes good news is very welcome. GG Overwatch Reddit community.
Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!