[BLOG] Fable Anniversary: Back on the farm

UltimateSeabass

[BLOG] Fable Anniversary: Back on the farm

Post by UltimateSeabass »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

So after 24 hours and 6 Xbox crashes I’ve completed my first play through of Fable Anniversary and I must say I was not disappointed. Hardware issues aside I loved playing this game. If you played the original back in 2008 like myself then going to back to where this fantastic series of games began and seeing that small farm boy once more will dump a huge dose of nostalgia into your system. If you joined at Fable II or III then it is a fantastic way to look at the humble beginnings of the heroes from those games and it allows you to see how much Albion has changed throughout the series.

For me though I was excited to see how the first game I ever played on an Xbox would look in HD compared to what I remember it looking like, which at the time was a very good looking game. I was not disappointed in HD this game is absolutely gorgeous really pulling me into the game just like it did before. Not only that but the soundtrack is one that sticks with you and is instantly recognisable adding to the nostalgia of the game, should you have played the original. As well as Jack’s creepy voice, which somehow manages to scare me more in this re-master than I remember it ever doing when I played the original.

Some of my favourite things about this HD remastering are that it comes with all the Fable: lost chapters DLC, which if you never played it really ties the story up nicely and adds an extra twist or two. Also the multiple choice achievements are another thing I love about this game, as it means you can play the game however you want to and not have to worry about achievements being unobtainable. However a word of warning comes with these multiple choices, because depending on which option you choose to obtain them you will get a different symbol achievement. This means that if you choose the easy way to get them all your friends will know you copped out, if such things concern you. Finally the fact that it gives you the option from the start to choose whether to play with the traditional controls or the controls from Fable II and III, meaning that no matter where you joined the series you can use whatever feels comfortable to you or if you played the original go for the full nostalgia factor.

There were only a couple of issues that I could personally find with this game. The first being that the running feels odd almost laggy to begin with but, it’s actually just that the running is a bit angular like in the original. The other issue I found was that on a couple of occasions (having failed a quest) when I skipped a previously watched cut scene the game would freeze causing me to have to dashboard. However this appears to be a rarity without it only happening twice throughout my entire playthrough.

So whether you’ve been with the series since the original or you joined at II or III, I could not recommend picking this up more if you’re a fan of the game. Now I would also definitely recommend this to people who haven’t played the series before. However if you don’t own any of the games but are interested in playing the series rather than buying each of the games singularly, there is a better way to do so because with the launch of this game there was also the launch of the Fable Trilogy onto the Xbox market place giving you Fable Anniversary, Fable II and Fable III for £45 which is a great price for this series of games. So there you have it if you don’t have this game already go get it or if you want to start your hero career go buy the trilogy. As for me I’m off to get those last few pesky achievements, have fun and don’t forget to kick those chickens.

Overall I would give Fable Anniversary a score of: Avo! (9.5/10)