[BLOG] What Did We Think of Yesterday's Nintendo Direct?

Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

[BLOG] What Did We Think of Yesterday's Nintendo Direct?

Post by Lonesamurai »

With a brand new Nintendo Direct under our belts, and one that the Big N was careful to emphasize was NOT an April Fool's prank, we now know a bit more about Nintendo's strategy moving forward:
  • Mewtwo has been dated and priced for Smash
  • Lucas is coming to Smash
  • Nintendo wants us to vote on the next Smash character
  • The new Fire Emblem is going to be radically different
  • Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is still a thing and it looks...interesting
  • Splatoon is looking pretty darn good
  • Amiibos! Yarn Amiibos! Packs of Amiibos! Card Amiibos!
  • Microtransactions!
  • Mario Kart 8 just got a lot faster
So, with those high points in mind, lets see what the staff thinks.

Digmbot

First off, I was excited to get a date for Mewtwo. I own Smash on Wii U and 3DS, so I get him for free. As for Lucas, I couldn't care less. He was broken in Brawl, and since he IS broken, we all know they won't balance him right in this game either. Plus, he's a Ness clone, so this is an easy move for Nintendo. Reskin Ness and his animations, add the few unique ones for Lucas and BAM! DLC character. I was excited about Fire Emblem until the reports that if you want to play both sides of the story, you have to buy two games. If that's the case, this is one SRPG I won't be playing. Keeping the Fire Emblem train rolling, Shin Megami has never been my cup of tea, so I don't have much interest here. At least they haven't forgotten about it after they teased everyone in 2013. I'm still hyped about Splatoon, and now I need to make Lone get a Wii U so I can demolish him 1v1. You hear that Lone? 1V1 ME BRO!

I'll take the Amiibos and microtransactions together. Yarn Yoshi amiibos sound awesome, although they won't be as adorable as the Yoshis Scarlet Dragon could make. The Splatoon pack seems cool. And card Amiibos will be nice for people on the go. On the other hand...I can't afford all these Amiibos. Nobody can. Nintendo, we are not made of money. Stahp. And stop adding microtransactions to everything. For the last few years, I've been so happy that you don't nickle and dime us to death (not sure what the UK version of that saying is), and now you're starting down a slippery slope. Yeah, the Pokémon Rumble game will probably be cool. But I'm not giving you real money for Poke Diamonds. I know you're getting into phone games, and this probably makes sense there. But I already paid good money for my consoles. So stop it.

And finally, Mario Kart 8. More DLC is good. And 200CC seems fun. But....instead of making Mario Kart 8 faster, why don't you just GIVE ME F-ZERO ALREADY!

*Drops mic, flips table, storms out*

PredictedCyborg

This Direct had something for everyone, with a lot of Nintendo’s most long running franchises making some appearance, from Mario Kart 8 updates to some Animal Crossing content that I don’t think a lot of us were expecting to see. Personally I was was glad to see some of this Nintendo Direct’s time taken up with talking about indie games.

Out of the big three console companies, Nintendo has always been the one who seems most open to trying new things. With Code Name S.T.E.A.M being spoken about with tournaments coming soon and the news that two well-known and loved indie games are coming to Nintendo console - Octodad: Dadliest Catch and Don’t Starve Giant Edition - I’d say that Nintendo still is. I hope that they port over well.

The other big thing that excited me was that a number of DS and N64 games were coming to virtual console. An N64 was one of the first consoles I had as a child and my beloved DS served me well for many years. It’s nice to see a little focus on the retro and the fondly remembered games of yesteryear. :)

Lonesamurai

Ok, I watched the Nintendo Direct early this morning and I must admit, there wasn't really much new there. One thing I did notice that worries me is the quickly increasing amount of paid add ons/DLC

I get that this is the market, but I expect more from Nintendo.

Also, Yoshi's new game makes me itch to watch it, but then I am allergic to wool... so I'll skip that one too :P