[BLOG] Reggie Fils-Aime to step down as Nintendo President, names Bowser as Successor

CrimsonShade
He's Technically Motivated

[BLOG] Reggie Fils-Aime to step down as Nintendo President, names Bowser as Successor

Post by CrimsonShade »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

(This article begins with a dramatisation which is for comic purposes. The main news article begins after the line)

A conference room inside Nintendo of America's offices. Redmond, Washington. February 21st, 2019.

Reggie Fils-Aime: Friends, investors, esteemed colleagues. I think we can all agree when I say that over the last decade, Nintendo has grown from strength to strength. We have seen record breaking sales from the Nintendo DS, Wii, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Switch systems; and our moves into mobile gaming and film are beginning to also pay dividends. True, it hasn't all been plain sailing (takes a picture down from the wall of a blue "U"); but one thing has never been lost: We are a company of individuals always moving forward and innovating with fun, dynamic new ideas.

(The entire boardroom cheers)

Reggie: ...Which brings me to the point of today. After more than 15 notable years at Nintendo of America, and nearly 13 as your President and COO, I believe the time is now right for me to pass on the reins. I therefore wish to inform you that I will soon be stepping down from the chair.

(The entire boardroom gasps)

Reggie: I called this meeting today in order to name my successor. Step forward... Bowser!

(All heads turn towards the doorway as the door to the conference room swings open, The floor shakes audibly with each step as the spiky-shelled King of the Koopas steps in to the room)

Bowser: That's RIGHT! I'm taking control of this Airship, and you all will bow to me from now on! For my first act, I demand a meeting with your precious poster child who has so often foiled my plans. Bring me Mario this instant!

Reggie: Not you, Bowser...

Bowser: WHAT?!?

Image courtesy LinkedIn

(From behind the large, intimidating Koopa, another man steps forward. As Reggie shakes the man's hand, the entire room applauds)

Reggie: I of course was referring to our current Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Doug Bowser. Effective April 15th, I am officially promoting him to my now-former role as President of Nintendo of America.

Doug Bowser: It has been my great fortune to work with and be mentored by Reggie for four years at Nintendo of America ... And rest assured, we will continue to build on his work to evolve and expand our brand, furthering Nintendo’s global mission of creating smiles. There are millions more of those to come.

Bowser: BAH!!! This pipsqueak is not even worthy of the Bowser name! (He storms out, as the rest of the boardroom congratulate Doug)

Yes, it's official. After more than 15 notable years at Nintendo of America, and nearly 13 as its President and COO, Reggie Fils-Aime will retire. His successor, Doug Bowser, is an industry veteran who joined NOA in May 2015 as the Vice President of Sales before being promoted to Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing the next year - and now, starting April 15th, he will now hold the esteemed title of President of Nintendo of America.

While the name may not be familiar to everyone, Bowser's business acumen is certainly powerful. Doug Bowser is an industry veteran who joined NOA in May 2015 as the Vice President of Sales before being promoted to Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing the next year. During his time at NOA, Bowser led the sales and marketing efforts for Nintendo Switch, which became the fastest-selling video game system of this hardware generation through 21 months, according to The NPD Group. Even before his time at Nintendo, Bowser has held major roles at Electronic Arts - where he last worked as Vice President of Global Business Planning.

In announcing his retirement, Fils-Aime said:
“Nintendo owns a part of my heart forever ... It’s a part that is filled with gratitude – for the incredibly talented people I’ve worked with, for the opportunity to represent such a wonderful brand, and most of all, to feel like a member of the world’s most positive and enduring gamer community. As I look forward to departing in both good health and good humor, this is not ‘game over’ for me, but instead ‘leveling up’ to more time with my wife, family and friends.”

Responding to the news, Shuntaro Furukawa, President of Nintendo Co., Ltd, had this to say:
“I really appreciate everything Reggie has done for Nintendo. Inside and outside our company, Reggie is known as an exceptional leader. We are grateful that he is leaving the business in good shape with strong momentum. While we will miss him and we wish him the very best in his retirement, we are also pleased to have such an able successor ready to step into that role. Doug Bowser and the rest of the team will ensure a seamless transition and continued momentum for Nintendo.”

So long as this Bowser doesn't share the famous Bowser's fiery reputation, Nintendo of America should remain in safe hands.

Image courtesy Super Mario Wiki