[BLOG] Sharknado: The Video Game announced for iOS devices. Yawn

CrimsonShade
He's Technically Motivated

[BLOG] Sharknado: The Video Game announced for iOS devices. Yawn

Post by CrimsonShade »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

It had to happen eventually. In Hollywood's relentless pursuit for more cash, any movie that doesn't get a videogame tie-in either before or within a month of the movie's release is a rarity - as is, sadly, the chance of said game being any good.

With Sharknado 2 scheduled to premiere on July 30 in US Cinemas, production studio The Asylum and TV channel Syfy have announced Sharknado: The Video Game will be released soon for iOS devices. Just like the film, the game features protagonist Fin racing to destroy several shark-infested tornadoes in New York City. And just what medium has the game chosen to represent this in gameplay terms? An "infinite runner", similar to Canabalt and the variety of imitators its spawned.

Yawn.

Played in a third-person perspective with the camera just behind Fin; and with objects coming towards you from up ahead rather than side-on, the game nevertheless sees you running through Manhattan - collecting coins, for no apparent reason - while heading towards one of the shark-filled tornadoes. Along the way you'll also pick up buckets of fish, which you can feed to any sharks thrown your way to avoid certain death. If you can't feed them, you can try to fight them off with your trusty broadsword (yup). Reach the Sharknado and you can equip a chainsaw, jump inside and try to destroy it from within - as if you can just jump into a rapid vortex of wind rather than be scooped up by it and thrown around every which way but loose.

The game's release date and price has yet to be announced, but given the imminent launch of the film as mentioned earlier, it probably won't be long until we hear both details. Meanwhile, forgive me if I decide to spend my time looking for more interesting games to play.