[BLOG] Kaplan Apologies For New Mei Skin After Negative Reception

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] Kaplan Apologies For New Mei Skin After Negative Reception

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

While the majority of things that have come in the Winter Wonderland event for Overwatch have been well received by the community (seriously, the amount of love I've seen on Tumblr for Junkrat and Roadhog's matching sprays is immense), one particular piece has been widely criticised by fans.

While most of the skins like Yeti Winston and Nutcracker Zenyatta have been quite popular, a lot of people are disappointed with Mei's new skin. In fact, the negative reaction has been so drastic that Overwatch's director Jeff Kaplan has felt the need to actually apologise for it on the Overwatch forums.

"We don't have a specific rule for what makes something Legendary or Epic. We just sort of make a gut call based off of what we think is cool." Kaplan wrote. "Coolness is very subjective, and based off of the community reaction it seems like our gauge was off on this one. Our reasoning for it being Legendary was that we completely redid the visual effects for Cryo-Freeze (we turned the ice block into a snowman)."

For those who haven't seen the skin, it looks fairly similar to Mei's ordinary winter coat skin if in Christmassy colours, with added hat and (as Kaplan says in his post) the ice block ability making Mei a snowman instead. Given that skins that are usually given Legendary status (which this one has been) are usually drastic changes from the norm, this is the main bone of contention.

For those disappointed though, Kaplan says that Mei is due to get something awesome in the early part of 2017.

"Apologies that our "cool meter" was off from yours on this one. We'll try to align better on future content."

Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!