[BLOG] For Honor Emote Steel Grind Time Is Two And a Half Years

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] For Honor Emote Steel Grind Time Is Two And a Half Years

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Recently Ubisoft have come under fire for the introduction of new emotes into their fighting game For Honor, specifically due to how much they actually cost in a game that was already full priced to begin with. True they can be bought through the in-game currency of Steel, so in theory it's possible for a player who doesn't want to spend anymore real money to earn all of them but at 7000 Steel a pop it's going to take a while. How long? Well someone actually did the math - it would take a casual player around two and a half years to earn enough Steel to buy all of the emotes for all the characters. Ouch.

If you do want to spend money on Steel, each 5000 Steel pack costs around $4.99/£3.99 - so you can't even buy one emote for that. You either have to earn the shortfall yourself, buy another 5k pack or the 11000 pack for $9.99/£7.99 - which again is only enough to get one emote. Out of the many there are.

To the calculations done, Reddit user bystander007 has worked out that each hero in the game right now needs 91,500 Steel to unlock all their associated emotes. There are 12 heroes in the base version of For Honor so times 91,500 by 12 and you get 1,098,000 Steel. It would therefore cost you a total of $732/£585 to unlock everything in the current build of For Honor - on top of the £40/$60 you've already spent on the game. And this isn't even counting the six upcoming heroes.

They then crunched the numbers on time taken if someone wanted to grind out all the Steel needed, if the player earned it through the in-game contracts, half-contracts and duels. Based on a casual player's estimate of about 1200 Steel per two hours of play, they calculated that it would take 921 days or 2.51 years to unlock everything in just the base version of For Honor, as I said earlier-  this doesn't take into account the upcoming six new heroes (that pushes the time taken up to around 1373 days or 3.76 years).

Oh, and the game requires you to use Steel to keep your weapons and armour upgraded - you fall behind what your opponents might be using if you don't.

So you can see why players are currently not impressed at Ubisoft's actions here, as well as the apparent greed of bleeding the players dry of more money after they bought the game. You expect this in a free-to-play (not to such a scale though), but not here. Not for £40/$60...

It's a shame too, I enjoyed For Honor when I played in its open beta.
Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!