[BLOG] Microsoft announce Windows 10 release date

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] Microsoft announce Windows 10 release date

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

After a decent amount of testing from Windows Insiders, Microsoft have finally set a release date for the next and possibly final incarnation of their long-running operating system. Windows 10 will be released to all on July 29th.

Windows 10 of course is well-known right now for the offer Microsoft have made to all owners of Windows 7 and 8 - for a limited time after release you've the option to upgrade to 10 for free. This offer even extends to owners of illegal copies, although Microsoft have made it clear that any illegal copies that want to be upgraded to a legit 10 version will require the owner to pay the licence fee before updating.

A new update for Windows is adding a little icon to the toolbar that allows owners to 'reserve' their copy of 10 in advance and sign-up for a little prompt to your e-mail when the copy is ready for download. Clicking the option pops up a number of screens to show off the new features of 10, all of which I've included below. The download will be a digital one so there's no worries of them running short, but then I'm assuming it gives Microsoft a bit of a heads-up on just how many people can be expected to be accessing the servers for the download at one time and to prepare accordingly. Also, the prompt will be quite useful to remind people.

For gamers there is hope that Microsoft are going to keep their promises to make sure gaming is as smooth and simple as we'd like. The fact that DirectX 12 will be exclusive to the OS is sure to be a draw for that section of the market as well.

I run Windows 7 at the moment, having been put off from 8 by the stories I heard of it as well as the lack of the start button (which apparently is making a return for 10, result!). Given all Microsoft has said though, I'm very tempted by the new Windows 10.

What about you? Did you avoid 8 as well, and are you looking forward to the release of 10?

"Hello World: Windows 10 Available on July 29": [x]

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!