[BLOG] Oculus Store DRM installed; no more hacked exclusives

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] Oculus Store DRM installed; no more hacked exclusives

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Previously it had been said by the founder of Oculus that he didn't care which headset players used to play their games - just as long as they still reaped the benefits of the sale. However, time moves on and it seems that someone has changed their mind.

The latest Oculus Store update comes with the standard tweaks and bug fixes, but according to reports it has also snuck in some DRM onto the platform. What this basically means is that now the Oculus Store will check to see if the headset is a Rift before letting you play - no Rift, no play.

The original statement from founder Palmer Luckey was said on a Reddit post a while back: "If customers buy a game from us, I don't care if they mod it to run on whatever they want. As I have said a million times (and counter to the current circlejerk), our goal is not to profit by locking people to only our hardware - if it was, why in the world would we be supporting GearVR and talking with other headset makers?"

Of course, this was before someone actually cracked on how to actually DO that. Revive was a hack that made Oculus exclusives playable on Vive. Luckey wasn't a fan saying: "This is a hack, and we don't condone it. Users should expect that hacked games won't work indefinitely, as regular software updates to games, apps, and our platform are likely to break hacked software."

And it seems that now it's actually happened. Not that it really comes as a surprise, as few other parts of the video game industry make their exclusives... well, non-exclusive or playable on another platform (at least not for a while).

It just seems that VR is evolving to match the current business plans.
Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!