[BLOG]: My new fear for Guild Wars 2

Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

[BLOG]: My new fear for Guild Wars 2

Post by Lonesamurai »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Now, I am very bored... I'll be the first to admit it, I am bored of Guild Wars (I really want to fill my Hall of Monuments, but I can't bring myself to do it *sigh*)... I am bored of World of warcraft, I am bored of Star Trek Online (sorry Elk) and if I could afford a second monthly fee (I'm locked into WoW to get Diablo 3 for free, probably a bad deal to be honest, but meh) I would be playing EvE Online again as the latest expansion looks fekin sweet!

Now there are lots of Free to Play game now and I'm slowly trying them all (and my hard drive is now groaning under the weight of them too) and the latest F2P I was planning on trying was the age old classic, Lineage 2. Now I haven't played Lineage 2 since Feb 2008, so now its Free to Play, I figured I'd give it another go and this is where my new Guild Wars 2 fear comes in...

Now, if you don't know what Pando Media Booster is, heres the official blerb:
Pando Media Booster (PMB) enables publishers of large media such as games and videos to deliver content to users in a reliable, fast and efficient manner. Running as a secure client-side application, Pando Media Booster intelligently delivers small pieces of the media file from multiple sources; CDN servers as well as other users who consume the same content ("Peer Cloud").

Now, my reaction to this piece of **** software would have too many asterisks (although I don't mind swearing on the new TGH, theres a limit to even how much I can swear...) as I hate this software and so do a LOT of people as its Peer to Peer element is well known for not only working, but working too well and destroying epoples internet connections while it streams the game files from patching...

Now I know I'm going on here, but back to my point! I went to install Lineage 2 this morning to give it another go and got THIS message:

Now as you can see in the last line of the paraghraph, "In the future, NCsoft may use Pando Media Booster on other NCsoft products for thier installations and updates."

Now if this includes Guild Wars 2, I won't buy it, simple as that

Rant over, now discuss!

~Lonesamurai
CrimsonShade
He's Technically Motivated

Re: [BLOG]: My new fear for Guild Wars 2

Post by CrimsonShade »

I agree. Pando Media Booster should be consigned to Room 101. I've already had to use it for a number of games in the past and I've just found it to be nothing but bloatware and a nuisance - besides, some of us already HAVE download accelerators and can resume downloads if they fail without it; and I know mine doesn't consume anywhere near the same about of bandwidth per second...
Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

Re: [BLOG]: My new fear for Guild Wars 2

Post by Lonesamurai »

hmm..

I was just speaking to Jeffy over at TGH and realised another fear for Guild Wars 2 is niggling me right now and its the same one I have about World of Warcraft and similar

Basically ArenaNet is pushing players to max their lvl's and power game the same way Blizzard makes end game content more of an important thing that the story to get their and so the actual fun of playing the story whilst lvl'ing your character will be missed

Now ANet have continually said this is not the case and with the sidekick system, etc, this may not be an issue, but really, one of the fantastic things about guild Wars 1 was that lvl'ing was a side thing most people didn't give a shit about and kept WoW players from gumming up the game and thats completely ruined now with GW2 and lvl'ing bonus items