[BLOG] #Destiny Beta Weekend Round Up and Thoughts

Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

[BLOG] #Destiny Beta Weekend Round Up and Thoughts

Post by Lonesamurai »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

So, the BETA weekend for Destiny has come and gone and i played most for the weekend on the 360 version.

Ok, I've played first person shooters since some of the first came along and MMO's for as long as they've been around (any one that's seen my XFire game time list will attest to that), and such, I have high impressions for both genres.

Games like Borderlands kicked things off for me int he right direction for Multiplayer shooters with an RPG element, and Destiny is very much in that vein, but has massive leanings to HALO, for obvious reasons.

BUT, this is a console game, which means it also suffers in every way a typical console based FPS falls flat.  The Controller!

HALO is spot on, its built around a controller, it has just the right amount of twitch and its easy to get going, even our own Digmbot can't disagree with that.  Destiny, somehow, drops the ball on that perfect HALO balance.  The controls feel at times stiff, at others, too sprung.  The auto aim is more a hindrance than a help, then turning it off (thank the gods you can turn it off), the aiming then becomes clunky, especially for a twitch shooter

Then there's the maps and map transitions.

Between maps, the loading screen is your ship flying down to the zone you are heading too...   This was cool once or twice...  The third time? I took the chance to go get a drink.

Then there is the maps themselves.   I played the same map four times for four different missions.   And every time, it started me at the same point in the map, even though I then had to slog across the map I had already done to get to the next point.  I honestly found it a little boring to do it over and over again.

Now one thing I did like was the Melee attack, as you can see in the screenshot below, it's more a close range force push, but it has a few second cool down, meaning you can't just run around force pushing all the enemies, and some of the enemies come at you thick and fast for sure...

So, did I like the game?

Honestly, not so much, I got bored very quickly and just wanted to go back to playing HALO.   I very much doubt I'll get it on console, but I may change my mind next year IF and ONLY IF the rumoured PC version makes an appearance.

Did you play the beta weekend?   Let us know what you think in the comments below!