[BLOG] Pearl Mackie named as new Who companion

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] Pearl Mackie named as new Who companion

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

After the teasing, the news has finally been announced - the new companion of Doctor Who will be played by actress Pearl Mackie.

The Londoner's role was announced on BBC One during the half time of the FA Cup semi-final match between Everton and Manchester United. Filming of the next series of the sci-fi show will begin this year but will air next year in 2017.

Mackie said "I'm incredibly excited to be joining the Doctor Who family. It's such an extraordinary British institution, I couldn't be prouder to call the Tardis my home." She went on to describe her character "Bill" as "wicked" as well as "cool, strong, sharp, a little bit vulnerable with a bit of geekiness thrown in".

Capaldi said: "It is a genuine delight to welcome Pearl Mackie to Doctor Who. A fine, fine actress with a wonderful zest and charm, she's a refreshing addition to the Tardis and will bring a universe of exciting new possibilities to The Doctor's adventures."

Doctor Who is one of the world's longest running science-fiction television series, having begun in 1963 as a way to teach children about science and history before becoming more dramatic and less educational in tone. The 'Classic' series ran until 1989 ending with Seventh Doctor Sylvester McCoy and besides a made-for-TV movie in 1996 we didn't see any new Who until the 'New' series began in 2005 with Ninth Doctor Christopher Eccleston. Peter Capaldi is the Twelfth Doctor, having taken the reins from Matt Smith a few years ago.

Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!