[BLOG] DVD Review: Batman: Assault on Arkham

Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

[BLOG] DVD Review: Batman: Assault on Arkham

Post by Lonesamurai »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Based on the hit video game series, Batman must find a bomb planted by the Joker while dealing with a mysterious team of villains called, The Suicide Squad.

Leading on from the story of Batman: Arkham Origins, the last game that wasn't overly great (because it wasn't made by Rocksteady).  This new DC Anime follows Amanda Wallers Suicide Squad on a mission to kill the Riddler.

The voice cast of the games and the animated Batman series from the 90's return to voice the usual suspects, Batman (Kevin Conroy) and Joker (Troy Baker).  This time around, Harley Quinn is voiced differently (although I genuinely thought it WAS Tara Strong, I'm surprised to find she was voiced brilliantly by Hynden Walch instead)

For the majority of the film, Batman actually isn't in it and honestly, it's a stronger film for him NOT being there.  This story is ALL ABOUT the Suicide Squad!

Made up of Deadshot (Neal McDonough), Harley Quinn, Killer Frost (Jennifer Hale), Black Spider (Giancarlo Esposito) and King Shark (John DiMaggio). The Suicide Squad are sent by Amander waller (CCH Pounder) to kill The Riddler (Matthew Gray Gubler), who happens to be in Arkham Asylum after Batman stopped Waller capturing Riddler at the beginning of the film and throwing him Arkham, instead of allowing Waller to kill him.

All the while, the Joker has a dirty bomb hidden somewhere in Gotham, ready to go off and Batman is on the hunt for it.

The animation quality is SUPREME, as is the story itself (besides, it has Harley Quinn in it, so of course it's epic!) although it takes off after the not so great Batman: Arkham Origins game, it uses the games version of the characters, including Penguin (Nolan North) and Bane (John DiMaggio)

The characters are all believable, and even relateable, I have a new appreciation for Deadshot for instance, who is on the team for his daughter, not for his sin's, like the other super villains.

Although it's out now on iTunes, I'd definitely recommend grabbing Batman: Assault on Arkham when it's DVD release drops in a couple of weeks, especially if you've played the Arkham games aswell

A definite addition to my DVD collection!  4.5/5