[BLOG] Guild Wars 2 Goes Free To Play

Digmbot

[BLOG] Guild Wars 2 Goes Free To Play

Post by Digmbot »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Since it's launch, Guild Wars 2 has been a rather successful MMO, and one that didn't boast the standard monthly subscription fee. Instead, you simply purchased a serial code for the game and that was it. Of course, there were in game cosmetics you could spend money on, but the game never asked you for more money simply to play. Now, however, ArenaNet has embraced the Free To Play model. The announcement was made at the Guild Wars 2 PAX Panel, and is effective as of today.

Of course, with an MMORPG that already has an established player base (and one that shelled out cash for the game to boot) things aren't as simple as just flipping a switch that turns off the price of admission. Instead, free accounts will be limited in ways that existing and new paid accounts will not be. Free Players will be limited to two character slots and 5 bag slots. They will also be unable to access the Revenant profession and the Heart of Thorns content. The core world of the game will be more segmented, with free players only being allowed to starter maps until they reach level 10 and the major city of Lion's Arch being locked out until level 35.

Perhaps the most interesting restrictions however deal with communications and the Trading Post. The Trading Post is a huge part of Guild Wars 2. Wihle I was levelling up my Mesmer and looking for the top gear I needed, the pages of Black Lion were seared into my retinas. Free players will still ahve access to the Trading Post, but only to a select lists of items to buy and sell.

Lastly, communications will be severely limited for free players, presumably so the unpaying masses don't disturb their serial number holding betters. Whisper chat will be restricted to only the same map and only to one new person every 30 seconds except for mutual friends. Map chat will be totally unavailable, and squad chat will only unlock at level 30.

Oh, and ArenaNet also announced that Heart of Thorns will be released on October 23rd and that it will include raid content.
-Digmbot