[BLOG] Blizzcon 2013: Original Warcraft Games Coming To Modern Operating Systems?

Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

[BLOG] Blizzcon 2013: Original Warcraft Games Coming To Modern Operating Systems?

Post by Lonesamurai »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Blizzard developers suggest that the original Warcraft games are coming to modern operating systems.

During the World of Warcraft Ask Anything panel, a question was asked about the original Warcraft games (meaning Warcraft I, Warcraft II, and the expansions). The BlizzCon goer asked if, because of the setting and theme of Warlords of Draenor, would we be seeing a port of the original Warcraft games to modern machines (I presume she meant modern operating systems). The devs gave an intriguing response by saying that they have a group at Blizzard working on something that may be able to do “something like that.”

Now, this is interesting and unexpected. Most players of World of Warcraft probably haven’t even played Warcraft III, much less Warcraft I and II. By releasing the games on modern operating systems, that would definitely introduce an expansive audience to the Warcraft universe’s roots. This is especially poignant when considering that it was just announced that the Warcraft movie would focus on Lothar and Durotan. Not only would they be bringing their newer players into the loop, but they would be introducing general movie goers to the back story, as well.

But, what did the developers mean by saying “something like that?” That seems to suggest that the games might be coming to us in a nontraditional way. What first comes to my mind is a system similar to the Starcraft II arcade. That would be pretty interesting and a cool addition to World of Warcraft. I would definitely play it even if it was within WoW.

So, what do you think? Do you think they’ll port the games to modern operating systems or not? What form do you think they could be distributed? What do you think the developers meant with their answer? Have you played the original Warcraft games? Would you play them again? Let us know in the comments section below!