[BLOG] Robin Williams NPC to be added to World of Warcraft as a tribute

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] Robin Williams NPC to be added to World of Warcraft as a tribute

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

There's few people who didn't react in some way to the news of the death of comedian and actor Robin Williams. The man was a part of the childhood of many young adults, myself included, and he seemed almost immortal with his jokes and overall positive aura. Among the things he enjoyed was a good game of WoW and thanks to a petition supported by fans of the game and the entertainer, Williams' legacy will get a chance to live on through this game.

Started shortly after the news, the text of the petition hosted on Change.org says that Williams could be "something of a troll in trade on good days or when anonymity allowed" and that he made many mentions in interviews of enjoying a game of Warcraft III and even built his own overclocked PC systems to game on. The petition was to see if Blizzard would agree to add an NPC somewhere in the game who would perform some of the more memorable and funny jokes that Williams made. Within less that 24 hours, over 10 thousand people signed and Blizzard said yes.

"While a single non-player character in a video game is only a small good thing to come out of a largely negative situation -- many cannot help but feel that they've preserved a tiny spark of who Mr. Williams was: a gamer, and a character." wrote petition organiser Jacob Holgate, thanking all those who supported the petition despite other players making negative comments about the idea.

Blizzard confirmed the tribute by a reply to a Tweet from Technical Game Designer, Chadd Nervigg asking if he'd seen the petition yet. They have promised to handle the creation of the NPC with the sensitivity and care needed to pay proper tribute to the comedian.

@Dakirokos@mumper@CM_Lore@DaveKosak @davhave Yes. We're taking care of it.

— Celestalon (@Celestalon) August 12, 2014

Petition: [x]
Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!