Conan: The Barbarian

Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

Conan: The Barbarian

Post by Lonesamurai »

The tale of Conan the Cimmerian and his adventures across the continent of Hyboria on a quest to avenge the murder of his father and the slaughter of his village.
and this is exactly what we got...

Now I loved the Arnie Conan's back in the day, but this Conan actually had some interaction and Dialogue, and Jason Mamoa not only portrayed a Barbarian with Cunning and Tactical sense (which after playing Ronon in Stargate Atlantis and Karl Drago in the first series of Game of Thrones) I expected nothing more or less, although apart from a few quick fight scenes in Game of Thrones (which was awesome and totally looking forward to season 2) was hideously underused after being a major character in SG:A...

The big surprise in this movie was Rose McGowan (Charmed, which I bloody hated), who pulled of totally hot and yet fucking scary Marique in equal measure... Ron Pearlman did his usual job as a lead in character in the story, as Conan's father and leader of his tribe, cutting Conan from the belly of his dying wife so she could see him before she died was a stunning scene

Now this film has been slated, but there is already a sequel being written.. so fuck you critics, this was a great film, with actually a great story, instead of just the boobs and blood of the Arnie films, there are plenty of boobs, and gallons of blood, but they don't get int he way of the story and action

Stephen Lang (Avatar), played the big bad guy, Khalar Zym, and considering I haven't seen a single film I've liked him in (its the films, not him that I've disliked) and I am looking forward to Terra Nova (earth is dying int eh future, so mankind invents time travel and sends people to the Jurassic era to make a new start? C'mon, that sounds both awesome and crap all at the same time), but he played the crazy bad guy in this brilliantly and you actually felt for him as everything he was doing was to bring his wife back from the dead (even when his crazy daughter Marique pretty much offers to take her own mothers place for him, incest in conan would make sense, but no Zym rebuffs her)

All in all, a great film and just what I expected after Soloman Kane early last year

Looking forward to the sequel now

7.5/10

~Lonesamurai