[BLOG] Windows EULA change highlights 10's anti-pirate feature

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] Windows EULA change highlights 10's anti-pirate feature

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

A recent change to the EULA of the new Windows 10 OS has revealed that it is able to potentially detect pirated software on your computer.

The section of the EULA in question is section 7B which describes how Windows will investigate software to check out its version, and then download configuration changes or perhaps suggest that its time for an upgrade (and then restart itself...). However it seems that this could also include changes to the configuration that might stop identified software from working at all if the OS thinks they might be illegal.

"We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorised hardware peripheral devices."

"Unauthorised hardware peripheral devices" is a bit less clear on what exactly it means, but it could very well be pointing towards modified controllers or imitation products that might not be as safe as the real device might be.

I just hope that the scan doesn't catch any false positives, otherwise Microsoft might have some unhappy customers...
Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!