[BLOG] Whatever Happened To The Damned Good Guy?

Moderator: DJ's

RattlinMan

[BLOG] Whatever Happened To The Damned Good Guy?

Post by RattlinMan »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Whatever happened to the damn good guy? I liked the damn good guy, the damn good guy was a...Damn. Good. Guy.

You're probably wondering what I mean by "the damn good guy". What I mean is pieces of entertainment that aren't huge, massive, world changing, innovative behemoths that somehow seem to fail living up to the expectations of the creator. The damn good guy refers to pieces of media that are just enjoyable because they're well put together, well written and don't try to cast a net so wide and cast that they can't possibly hope to be considered a success.

Example, Tomb Raider 2013. That was a good game, really good in fact. Solid gameplay/mechanics, great voice acting, very good atmosphere and was a nice long length. Square Enix however deemed the game a failure despite it selling a whopping 3.4 million units worldwide. Seriously Square? How big were your expectations of the game that you needed to re-release it for Playstation 4 and Xbox One just to beef up the sales? How much was the budget for this endeavour?

According to an article from Eurogamer.net the budget for Tomb Raider was $60 Million...HO-LY FUCK!!

I think we can all agree that's pretty tall order to fill, a really tall order to fill. And there's my point, set the bar too high and the chances of you hauling your arse over it decreases, don't get me wrong I really enjoyed Tom Raider, but to have it deemed a failure due to unreasonable expectations just seems rude (for the lack of a better word), I'm no game designer but even I can see effort when it's right in front of me.

Square sadly seemed to act like EA is constantly acting with their Battlefield franchise which ends up with a game that makes a huge amount of money and sells an insane amount of copies but is deems a failure anyway. Instead EA just end up aping Call of Duty in order to try and win over their audience, which they seem to keep failing at. These developers can clearly dominate in their fields of work but they're tunnel-visioning so hard that they forget that they've still made a metric fuckton anyway. There's nothing wrong with 2nd place is what I'm saying and there's also nothing wrong with not releasing a game every fucking year, yeah I'm looking at you Assassin's Creed, I love you but slow the hell down, you make tons of money with what you have maybe you should take the time to enjoy it? You know make some use of that company yacht you undoubtedly have, maybe take it for a sail and unwind?

See, this is why I love the damn good guy. The damn good guy gets their budget and knows exactly what to do with it, the damn good guy thought process I imagine would be something akin to this:

"Ok, I've been given $25,000,000 to make a piece of entertainment"

"My piece of entertainment will be about this"

"I will spend the money accordingly in all the necessary areas in order to make this piece of entertainment as appealing to its target audience as possible"

"The product has been released, sales figures are strong and we've made the budget back plus a little extra, even the reviews are positive I'm going to spend some time with my kids as I've been coming home late recently" 

The damn good guy thought process probably does not resemble,

"OHDEARGOD, WE'VE BEEN GIVEN $70,000,000 TO MAKE A PIECE OF ENTERTAINMENT, WE MUST BE BETTER THEN EVERYONE ELSE IN ORDER TO BECOME ANY KIND OF SUCCESS"

"But sir we're making a ton of money anyway..."

"DAMMIT HENDERSON NOBODY WANTS TO HEAR YOUR INSANE RAMBLINGS ABOUT THIS MYTHICAL MONEY NONSENSE, WE MUST BEAT THE COMPETITION OR BE BRANDED AS FAILURES AND BE CAST OUT
FOR ALL ETERNITY BY THE HUMAN RACE"

"Sir we've been getting ratings up in the 90% range..."

"WE NEED TO TRY AGAIN AT BEATING THEM, WE'VE ONLY GOT A FEW MINUTES"

At this point Henderson has defected to a Studio that isn't staffed by impatient tunnel-visioning weirdos who scream a lot.

This is why we need to support the damn good guy, the damn good guy takes their time, evaluates their options and sets themselves a reasonable goal and when all is said and done, the result is damn good. The result is
  • Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
  • Solomon Kane
  • Dishonoured
  • Darkman
  • Hellboy
  • Dredd
  • The A-Team (2010)
  • The Grey,

Do you see what I'm driving at? Not to say that giant bits of game changing innovation are a bad thing, they can just get out of hand fast and end up bloated, fat and always hungry for more.

Bottom line, support the Damn Good Guy. Because he's a damn good guy.