[BLOG] First-person view in beta for EVE Online

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] First-person view in beta for EVE Online

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

One of the things about big "open-world" space games is that developers can put a lot of effort into the starscapes around the players, sometimes making them works of art in their own right. And even if you're meant to be flying around scooping salvage, delivering cargo or fighting enemies there are times when you just want to go a little slower and take the time to stare at those wonderful stars right?

For a while players in EVE Online have been asking developers CCP for a first-person perspective so they can do just that. And while it made sense that the game didn't have one - the players being in a life-supporting pod instead of a cockpit canonly in-game - CCP have added a beta version that's now in testing.

Currently it's available in SiSi which is EVE's test server and there will be an opt-in beta coming to the regular server next month. There'll also be an orbital camera added which is like the regular one but with a narrower frame of view and a little bit of drift; as well as a tactical camera which leds you detach the cam and pan around.

So far reactions from the community have been mixed. I say as long as it doesn't interfere with the game's core, why not?

Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!