[BLOG] Wizards Of The Coast Making New Moves Into Digital Games

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] Wizards Of The Coast Making New Moves Into Digital Games

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

At the moment, the big name in digital card games is Hearthstone, Blizzard's free-to-play and very successful game based on their World of Warcraft lore. Outside of the digital market though, the physical card game market has quite a few more competitors and now one of the biggest names there is preparing to put more effort into the video game market.

Wizards of the Coast is known for their Magic the Gathering card game and according to president Christ Cocks they are planning to redouble their efforts in the digital market, having formed a new Digital Game Studio and hired industry talent from all over to help them with this. Among the team are people from Valve, Activision, Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment, BioWare and many many more, so they're not short of experience.

According to Cocks, the team is currently experimenting with how to translate the Magic card game digitally and let players tap mana and prepare spells. The system could be a revamped mana one similar but not exactly the same as the one used in the physical game already. Of course, Wizards have already made a few attempts to translate Magic to a digital game, but neither Magic Online or Duels of the Planeswalkers really managed to catch the audience's attention in the world of digital card game players. Let's hope this attempt brings them more success.

As well, Wizards own the property of Dungeons & Dragons, and if the amount of online shows with a group of personalities playing through campaigns is any indication, a properly done digital D&D game would sell extremely well probably. I'd certainly consider trying it, if it looks worth the price tag put upon it.

Of course, this is all just talk at the moment. We'll probably have a wait before anything concrete gets shown off to us or even rumoured.
Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!