[BLOG] Indie Game Review: Dungeon Escape

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] Indie Game Review: Dungeon Escape

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Game reviewing requires you to sometimes play genres that maybe you're not so interested in. When those come along, you can still judge a game to be 'good' if it is still a great game despite the fact that maybe it's not your particular cup of tea. Some genres though, it's very hard to do much different with.

Dungeon Escape is a 2D jumping platformer in the same one-hit, one-kill, start level over again vein as Super Meat Boy. You have hazards, you have one hit point. You need to get out of the level and onto the next one. Simple. The art style is simple but not basic, and the game moves and plays very fluidly. You are a prisoner in this dungeon and you need to make it through even dangerous level, grab the key, bring it to the door and exit to make it to the next level/room of the dungeon with the hope of eventually escaping.

The levels are clearly constructed, and since you usually enter in a spot out of danger you've time to evaluate which way you need to go and the hazards you need to avoid. Of course, jumping around, over or between hazards needs timing, poise and... well, as I said this is one of those one-hit, one-kill, restart games. One wrong move and you needs to start all over again. The game has a points system, and around levels you will find coins to collect if you wish to bring up your score. Of course, to get to those coins you need to risk restarting the level again so it's perfectly possible to grab the key and run if you want. Levels will also gain enemies that can kill you also in one touch, but very much like a Goomba they can be stomped upon and at times will need to be to clear certain areas and make them safe for you.

As I said in the beginning, even if you're not fond of a genre that doesn't mean a game in it is necessary 'bad'. There's been games I am terrible at, but know that they're great games - I just suck at them. Dungeon Escape however, does not feel like one of those games. There's very little reward for making it through levels other than unlocking the next one in the chain. Timing jumps, getting through spaces, hitting something and having to do it all over again? It's not fun and this is one of the few games I've ever truly felt like rage quitting on. There wasn't even a decent story to follow from level to level; I don't know who this character is I play as, why they're in this dungeon in the first place, if there's any antagonists with sentience and if there's any secrets deeper in the dungeon to discover. That would have at least kept me engaged. That being said, it seems the game was the work of one person but surely even one guy can add a little backstory?

If the challenge and making it through is the payoff that matters for you in the game, you will probably like this game more than I do. I however cannot really recommend this one. It's a well-put together game and functions perfectly - there's just nothing to make me want to continue playing.

6/10

Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!