[BLOG]: Movie Review: The Hunger Games

Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

[BLOG]: Movie Review: The Hunger Games

Post by Lonesamurai »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »
Set in a future where the Capitol selects a boy and girl from the twelve districts to fight to the death on live television, Katniss Everdeen volunteers to take her younger sister's place for the latest match.

Ok, here goes, and yes, I know its been a while since I posted a review (yes yes, I've been slacking, but hey, leave me alone), The Hunger Games

Right, a little insight into how I review a movie... When i come out of the cinema, a movie leaves me one of three ways and only two are good... Either, It will leave me full of energy and feeling good about myself, 1st good... OR, it will leave me wishing I had gotten my money back, strangely, also good (cos I know what I think of the film)... Then there is the third way and thats in the middle, no feelings either way about a film and not sure what I think and thats bad, mainly because it makes writing the review a nightmare

So guess where Hunger Games left me as I walked out of the cinema... Yup, in the middle.

Now I haven't read the book, but I know enough people that have and obviously there was no missing any info about it on the intawebs and obviously, Battle Royale is one of my favourite films of all time. So the idea of the film made sense...

However and this point stuck in my craw in the first five minutes, well until the reaping happened and that is, WHY WAS THE REAPING HAPPENING?!? Obviously at the reaping, the choosing of the boy and girl to take part, a public service announcement played for all to be reminded WHY the Hunger Games happened, yeah got it... but that brief thirty seconds of plot still didn't make me realise WHY they had come up with this idea instead of, like the President says later in he film, rounding up 24 youngsters and executing them

Now I totally get that I've missed the point here because I haven't read the books and I can't hold something against the film because of my ignorance of it, so moving on. As an action film, I was pleasantly surprised. The death sequences are gory without showing any real gore (not surprising considering its a 12A here in Britain) and for the actual Hunger Games itself, this was worth watching (not upto par with Battle Royale, but it wouldn't be, its not Japanese and its only a 12A certificate, not an 18 like BR was). Jennifer Lawrence is believable as the responsible young adult, making up for her mothers depression and looking after her little sister, but teh forced love triangle that was left open at the end was kinda annoying. I liked the character of Peeta, but also didn't know enough about Gale either.

Woody Harrelson and Lenny cravitz made this film interesting for sure, I'm a huge Harrelson fan anyway and I will admit, this role suited him perfectly. Cravitz was good too, hell, I even liked the gold "guyliner" over the eyes too, maybe he should keep that look when he obviously reboots his music career.

The other point of the film that maybe didn't work for me was the Capitol itself and the citizens that lived there... Rather than marvelling at the look and style, all I could think was, "I'm glad I didn't work in teh make up and wardrobe departments for this film, holy crap that was a metric butt ton of weird hairstyles, crazy make up and wacky outfits... And Stanley Tucci's HAIR?!? Electric blue... different, very different

So, my over view. Would I buy this film on DvD, well yes, but not for myself, as a gift for a freind that I know loved it? Certainly. Would I even bring the popcorn to watch it with them, Yup!

So yeah, my rating. Now, i can't hold my rating back because of my ignorance of the story as there was enough info there to keep you upto speed, so a solid 7.5. I will however get the books and read them, and when I do, I might revise this review as I understand more of the film, so keep an eye here for more info!

Sanitarium.FM Rating 7.5
Claeya

Re: [BLOG]: Movie Review: The Hunger Games

Post by Claeya »

I think you made a very fair assessment based on what you were presented with. I of course am a huge fan of the books, and think that any film adaptation has to work really hard to compare. A positive point is that Suzanne Collins worked on the film which meant that it did a great job of staying true to fact.

The books made a massive impact on me, mostly because I could relate. Everything there was to extreme but with the depressed mother and being forced somewhere you didn't want to be, I could really sympathize with Katniss.

As for your comment on the love triangle, again I felt better done in the books, also they are built up throughout, but can be annoying! The point though isn't the romance and Katniss is a strong woman who believes herself capable without the aid of any guy, and wants nothing to do with marriage and kids.

All in all, I agree with what you said to a point, based on the film itself. :) I would like this as a gift on DVD....*hint* LOL