[BLOG] Review: Google Pixel C

Digmbot

[BLOG] Review: Google Pixel C

Post by Digmbot »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

The tablet market is a crowded place these days. Samsung and Apple dominate their respective markets and it sometimes seems as if they are the only two options available if you don't have the cash to spring for a Surface, or simply don't want a windows tablet. Google, in their infinite wisdom has seen fit to offer us a high end alternative in the Pixel C. However, this tablet sits in an odd spot. Hasving recieved one for Christmas, I've been playing around with it for the past 24 hours. So, what do I think?

*Note: This review was written entirely on the Pixel C using the Pixel keyboard.

Specs

Operating System
Android 6.0 Marshmallow

Display
10.2-inch LTPS LCD,2560x1800 (308 ppi)
500 nit brightness
sRGB Image

The keyboard also doubles as a cover for the Pixel C's gorgeous screen, and sliding it up and over the tablet is a simple and satisfying  proocedure. Similarly, when you want to use the tablet as....just a table, simply slide the keyboard around to the back or remove it entirely. The entire process is quick and easy, and makes the Pixel feel like a versatile and robust machine.  Its also nice to know that I don't have to worry about charging the keyboard seperately. The Pixel charges they kehboard inductively, so as long as it's attached to the body of the tablet,  you'll never have to worry about it's battery level. And even if you forget, Google promises a staggeringly long  battery life for the keyboard.

User Experience

This is  one of those hard  to quantify categories, but something vital to the review of any piece of hardware. How does it FEEL to use the tablet?

In short: It feels great. The Pixel's case is sleek and  feels high quality. The screen looks fantastic. Apps open quickly, swapping between apps is easy, and gaming is great thanks to the powerful GPU housed inside. Of course, the Pixel sits somewhere between Apple's pure tablets and the  Windows user experience of the Surface.  It's great for browsing the web, playing games and watching YouTube.  However, Android doesn't  have a dedicated suite of productivity apps like the Surface does.  Of course you can use Google Docs, but thats not quite the same as the full Microsoft Office suite.  Another hinderance to getting serious work done on the Pixel C is Android's lack of multitasking. There is an experimental dual window mode, but in my tests I found it to be extremely buggy. It's still a work in progress, but for now it leaves the Pixel in a spot where using more than one app at once evokes the tedious experience of opening your app manager and swapping through apps.  Its  cfertainly doable, but not intuitive or efficient.

The Verdict

The Pixel C is a fantastic piece of hardware. It has some great features,  like the powerful speakers and beautiful display. It makes  gaming, browsing the web and watching cat videos on YouTube a fast and easy experience. The keyboard is a godsend for those that hate typing emailson a touchscreen. And I must say, I enjoy the ability to tap on the back of the tablet and see the lightbars illuminate  to show  me how much charge the tablet has without having  to unlock the screen. However, the Pixel C sits in an odd spot. It seems Google was thinking for the future, as they often do with products in the Pixel line.  Android in it's current form is severely limiting  on the productivity of  any power user.

In short, the Pixel C is a great pickup if you simply have  to have the most powerful Android tablet available and have the cash to burn. If you are having a light work day, taking it with you is a viable option if you don't want to lug a laptop around.  Still, it has room to grow if Google can only take it in the right direction.
-Digmbot