Book Review - Feed by Mira Grant

GreatSnowman

Book Review - Feed by Mira Grant

Post by GreatSnowman »

So I thought this entire forum was under appreciated with only two reviews, and decided to write a spoiler free, if badly written review for a favourite book of mine. Enjoy it and buy the book.

So, in the past few years there has been an increase in zombie fiction, both on TV and in books, sort of following the same pattern of plot, start of zombie outbreak, survive, then maybe take back the country in some way. You probably recognise the first two from the plot of Walking Dead and George A Romero movies, and World War Z, a good book to read for the different story style of zombie stories.

Now, Feed, the book written by Mira Grant, is another story set in a world with zombies, but instead of setting it during the actual outbreak, its set after humans survived and started to live in a, sort of, truce with the zombies. Set in the year 2040, the story follows a groups of bloggers as they cover one of the biggest event in America, from start to finish with all the main events in between while covering the events.

A small spoiler for the background of the story is during the breakout of the zombie outbreak during 2013, everyone turned to the bloggers for information about the outbreak, including how to survive where to go, as the news channels pretended that the outbreak was not occurring and being slow on the uptake after they admitted, so bloggers became one of the main sources of news and information alongside TV, newspapers and Radio.

The story itself starts great with the main characters, both bloggers, trying to get footage for their website, and the brother poking a zombie with a stick. With the way it was described, and the lead up to it being one of the more interesting introductions I have read out of all the zombie apocalypses novels I own. There aren’t many zombie encounters within the book as people might want, however the focus isn’t on the zombie killing, but the world after zombies, with zombies still around.

During the plot, there are highs and lows, both with the writing, which has a lot more highs than lows by a huge margin, but also with the development of the characters and the emotional attachment if found I had for the characters. However the plot may not be to everyone’s taste as it is on a slightly heavy topic.

The story is broken up with blog posts from the website of the bloggers throughout the book, adding more depth to the plot as well as the some background information about the characters, both with each other and the past.
The three main characters are well written, and likeable, the sort of characters if they were real, would probably want to read the blogs of them, especially during a real zombie outbreak. The two main characters, brother and sister, have a slightly unexplored interaction in the book, but also slightly obvious as it is meant to be unspoken.

The villain, basically a typical villain, wanting to take over the country, using zombies to get his way, either using zombies already made, or a serum made up of the actual virus. The villain was probably the weakest part of the book, was easy to guess he was the villain, didn't hide that he didn't like everyone, which considering the plot of the book, was a mistake to do.

Overall the book is a good read, with a good plot if slightly heavy and not as many zombies as there could have been within story, but still good as a different perspective to the actual genre.

9/10
Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

Re: Book Review - Feed by Mira Grant

Post by Lonesamurai »

Oh wow, this is great Snowman, sorry I missed it!