[BLOG] The Oculus Store DRM is cracked

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] The Oculus Store DRM is cracked

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Well, that didn't take long. Only a day after Oculus Store installed DRM to stop its exclusive games from working on anything but an Oculus Rift headset, the update has been cracked.

The update verified that the games were legitimately purchased, which is fair enough, but the sticking point for many had been that it also verified that you were using an approved Oculus device. This after the founder of the company once publicly said on Reddit: "If customers buy a game from us, I don’t care if they mod it to run on whatever they want."

This admittedly was before someone actually managed to make such a thing a reality with a patch called Revive letting you play Oculus exclusive games on other headsets. The same creator who made that patch has now cracked open this latest update by simply disabling DRM in Oculus titles completely. However, this does also mean that there is no longer any checks on whether the game is a legitimate copy anymore either, something that the creator Libre VR was quick to say they didn't support.

"I still do not support piracy - do not use this library for pirated copies."

Founder of news website TorrentFreak, Ernesto Van der Sar, told the BBC "DRM as a means to prevent piracy is rather futile. If there's a demand to use a product or access a service, people will often find a way around DRM and other technological blockades. History has shown many examples of how it mostly inconveniences legitimate customers."

He also said that Oculus ought to learn from the movie and music industry and try to provide "great legal options" rather than trying anti-piracy measures.

"Oculus should focus on providing a superior platform and the best games instead of focusing on piracy at this point. It's impossible to defeat piracy completely, but lessons from the movie and music industry show that providing great legal options work better than anti-piracy measures."
Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!