[BLOG] Will we need to pay for PS Pro patches?

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] Will we need to pay for PS Pro patches?

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Among the new 'mid-generation' consoles that are coming, Sony's entry is going to be the "Playstation Pro" which is kind of like a Playstation 4.5. The console will be supporting 4k and HDR, and many already-released games had been confirmed to be getting patches to make them look their best on the new machine.

Only now, there might be a twist in the tail for these post-release patches.

Speaking to Japanese site Game Impress Watch, an executive vice president at Sony Interactive Studio (Masayasu Ito) gave some hints that these patches might actually end up costing you money to access. He said that 'it will be different for each title' and that it depend on 'the thinking of each licensee' when expressly asked whether money would be involved in the updates. At that point he was talking more about third-party developers but when pushed to clarify about Sony's own published titles Ito responded ‘I think it will vary for each one of our titles.’

A number of games have already been confirmed for the updates, including Uncharted 4, Shadow of Mordor and many more popular, widely-played titles. If we do have to pay there's likely to be an uproar, but the details have come via a translated interview and thus there might be something lost in translation - maybe the costs are only development ones.

Either way, it's best to wait for official announcements before we pick up the torches and pitchforks.
Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!