[BLOG]: Movie Review: Brave

Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

[BLOG]: Movie Review: Brave

Post by Lonesamurai »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »
Determined to make her own path in life, Princess Merida defies a custom that brings chaos to her kingdom. Granted one wish, Merida must rely on her bravery and her archery skills to undo a beastly curse.

OK, from the out set, I know it's a Disney Pixar film, so if you are not into cutesy Disney, then you probably won't like it, but if you give it a chance, you bloody well will, I loved this film

The voice cast for this are, of courser, suitably stunning, Kelly Macdonald brings a warmth to the main character of Merida, in her family battle with herwinderful, yet misguided mother Elinor (the wonderful Emma Thompson), as an adult, you can see both sides of the war and it genuinely drags you in. All helped by Merida's triplet baby brothers (who are the baby brothers everyone really wants, but parents wish they never had... like three mute Stewie Griffins, they get into all sorts of mischief and mayhem and are generally darned cute throughout (I see a Pixar short about these three in the future))

The real stand out character in the side story of why Merida needs to marry, but also would rather she follow her own path is her father, The Bear King Fergus (Billy Connolly), who is stand out brilliant throughout the film, especially when sparring with the three lords, Lord Dingwall (Robbie Coltrane), Lord MacGuffin (Kevin McKidd) and Lord Macintosh (Craig Ferguson), who come to Merida's castle with their three son's to vye to take her hand in marriage and become the next King, obviously the three sons all have some ineptitude and these are brilliantly played out (especiallys Young Macguffin's hideously strong Glaswegian acent that no one can really understand)

Obviously this is all too much for Merida though as she makes off in anger after a fight with her mother about wanting to live her own live and the Wisps show her the way to an old Witches home (Julie Walters) and preceeds to give Merida a potion laced cake to change her mother's plans for her mariage, however the spell turns her mother into a bear and Merida must not only help her mother become human again, but bond with her again as mother and daughter

This was a genuinely heart tugging tale, with lots of great comedy moments from the triplets (especially when they also get turned into bear cubs, so CUTE!!!) and of course from Billy Connolly's King Fergus!
Brave will definitely be finding a place in my Disney/Pixar dvd/bluray shelf when it releases and even if you don't have kids, this is a great feel good film that needs to be watched

Genuinely enjoyment from this film, an easy 9 outta 10

~Lone