[BLOG] Indie Game Review: Light Apprentice Vol. 1

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] Indie Game Review: Light Apprentice Vol. 1

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

There are many things that can make a good game. Visuals, sound, mechanics... but I do place a lot of value on the story of a game personally. I love a good story.

Amazu Media's comic gamebook Light Apprentice depends heavily on its story. We received Vol. 1 of it for review, which included the first four chapters. We follow Light Apprentice Nate as he is awoken many years in his future by Tlob, a Blueling, and finds out that not only was he sealed away for years - so were the other Apprentices meant to prevent a devastating war. That war has been and passed now, and their world is slowly dying. Tlob is one of a group hoping to find the Apprentices and use their planet-given powers to hopefully stop this slow inevitable death.

The game is split between the comic book 'story' parts, and the gameplay 'adventure' parts of the game. The comic book parts tell the majority of the story and offer decisions in how you wish to progress it, while the adventure parts are where you do most of the game playing, represented in a point-and-click style where you tap what you wish to interact with. This part is also where you'll do the majority of battles, and these two have a 'choice' element to them.

Battles can either be 'won' through defeating all your enemies by attacking them down to 0 hitpoints, or by enduring their hits until they stun themselves after which you can choose to 'forgive' them. Both require timing to hit a ring to complete a successful block or a powerful attack move. I personally chose to play it 'pacifist' but both ways seem equally viable in this game for progression. Each character also has a stock of special moves they can execute by using some of the team's spirit point total, a shared value that restores by 1 for each attack made by either side in the fight. There is one signature move that can be used without taking up an entire turn, but most of them will replace the attack of defend action you could have taken for that round.

There are also items to be found, some special to progress your way through the adventure elements, some in the form of potions which the party again shares between them, and the rest in the form of equippable items such as helmets, armour, weapons and rings/baubles.

I really enjoyed this game. It is another mobile game port, but with the limited input those games could have they found a really good way to implement a system that works. The characters and story are wonderful, the visuals and sound design just add a lovely richness to it and I want to find out more. I want to see the rest of the tale.

And that is the mark of a good story.

8/10

Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!