[BLOG] Indie Game Review: Don't Open The Doors!

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] Indie Game Review: Don't Open The Doors!

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

A lot of the games we see tend to follow set formulas, depending on its genre. Not that this is a bad thing, it's what sells and what works. Every now and then though, we do get a game that's a little bit... different.

Don't Open the Doors is one of those games. Even from a glance you can see that it sets out to be different. A claymation indie game, you play as a 'human' in a colourful strange world that was forever changed when the 'doors' appeared and forced people to retreat from the city. You have been tasked with delivering the Megabomb to blow up the main door and save everyone... only you seem to be stuck in a world filled with people and other beings who only seem to want to backchat you and hinder you at every step. There are exceptions of course, but it's notable how many things in this world are just plain rude to you.

Notice I said 'things' - a LOT of things in this game talk to you. Humans, pumpkins, bugs, cooking pots... you name it, there's probably something of that type that will talk to you at some point in the game. Being sassed by insects is not what I expected from this game. However, it's all made better by the fact that as soon as you get your first weapon (a hammer) you can take your revenge on some of what's talking to you. In fact, with your hammer there's an awful lot of things you can smash - try it on anything and everything and you might be surprised what explodes into a goo (clay?) puddle with a hit or two.

You do of course have a main quest, and its to do with this Megabomb you're meant to deliver. Only you might need to learn how to make it again... so fetch quests are a thing in this game. However, you will also run into other beings who have small side quests for you and will give you things for completion so it's best to wander around to find all you can. There's a few hidden secrets that aren't immediately obvious thanks to the game's isometric viewpoint. Roam around, complete all you can, and talk to everyone - even those who don't want to talk to you. You'll find all kinds of useful items just by talking to and helping people or pumpkins.

I'd recommend this game if you want to play something different yet still very good. A lot of effort went into the claymation for the game and it shows. Moving in an isometric game is always one of the tripping points, but as long as you can get your head around it you should be alright. You aim and fire your weapon with the mouse anyway, so that's one less thing to get confused with.

8/10

Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!