[BLOG] Ken Levine announces the end of Irrational Games

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] Ken Levine announces the end of Irrational Games

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

If you're a massive fan of the Bioshock games, I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. The developing company of the game, Irrational Games is being closed.

On their site at irrationalgames.com every page was taken up with a long message from Ken Levine, one of the founders of the company and the current Creative Director saying that after seventeen years and some enormous success in the recent years he had taken the decision to concentrate on other types of projects and so “I am winding down Irrational Games as you know it” and moving to a smaller group within Take-Two with only fifteen of the people currently working at Irrational Games coming with him.

He does stress however that they are committed to helping those who are being let go survive the transition and find new work.

Besides financial support, the staff will have access to the studio for a period of time to say their goodbyes and put together their portfolios. Other Take-Two studios will be on hand to discuss opportunities within the company, and we’ll be hosting a recruiting day where we’ll be giving 3rdparty studios and publishers a chance to hold interviews with departing Irrational staff.

He says that the next thing for him and his new smaller group of game developers will be to work on new narrative-driven games for the core gamer community, with hopefully a closer working link to those players and digitally delivered content exclusively. As for the Bioshock Universe? There's no need to worry about it vanishing for good as Levine states that the reins for the games and its world are being handed over to the people at 2K who have worked with Irrational on the games in the past.

The message on the site will be updated with an FAQ later as questions come in, so more information will slowly be made available for those with questions that need answering.

Full message is at irrationalgames.com
Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!