[BLOG] Eurogamer 2013: XBox One hands on

Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

[BLOG] Eurogamer 2013: XBox One hands on

Post by Lonesamurai »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

The first thing you notice picking up the controller for the XBox One is that it feels right in your hands

The controller is tactile and with all the improvements, you feel far more in control of what you are doing.

I tried the XBox One on two games at Eurogamer, Forza 5 and Zoo Tycoon.  Ok, Zoo Tycoon didn't show the system off to its heights (apparently the XBox 360 version will be lower definition, parks will be smaller area in game, etc), but it looks like they are using the extra system horsepower to do more for what is, in effect, a sim game (and a fun one aswell, preview later)

Forza 5!

Now I'll write more about the game later, for now this is about the console.

During the Forza 5 dev chat, Dan Greenwalt commented on the difference between analogue and digital driving in gaming.  Digital driving is hammering the accelerator button, compared to lightly pulling the button until you feel the back wheels of your car start spinning and lose traction.

This is an incredible feeling on the start line of the grid in Forza and can be the difference between winning and losing (especially if you hammer the button and have no grip when the lights go out, no grip means you're going nowhere).  Now people will claim that a lot of people playing Forza won't understand this, but thats simply rubbish, most of the gamers of Forza 5 will be drivers in real life, they will know what its like at the lights and feeling the car WANTING to jump off the line when you push the accelerator and the new improvements in the controller give you that exact feeling, you can feel the car kicking and trying to jump, fantastic

The Console

It IS big, but it looks more like a HIFI seperate and like it should sit in with your HIFI system

The one problem with this is, who has big HIFI systems anymore nowadays?

Don't get me wrong, I quite like the angular looks of it, it looks like it can take a bit of punishment aswell.  What I'm not so sure about is front loading disc slot, compared to a tray loading drive...   Now the tray loading type where an issue with the 360 (I've had two break, although strangely, my original XBox still works fine...  hmm...) but I've never been keen on front loading drives, especially as holding a CD/DvD in specific ways can mean the difference between a working/failing disc

The HDMI through put

Now this is a strange one...   As pointed out, it can be used for other services aswell, like running another console through it, like your PS4 for instance (good little middle finger to Sony there), However, I'll be running my 360 thorugh it instead.  That way both my XBox's will be on the same HDMI channel on my tv, making my life easy.

Of course I'm based in the UK and we're still waiting to hear about the UK based TV systems compared to the US based ones Microsoft have set up for the consoles launch.  However as a virgin Media user, I would genuinely love being able to change channels, etc via Kinect commands (make it happen Microsoft/Virgin Media)

And on the note of Kinect...

Kinect 2

Now, I didn't get chance to play Kinect Sports Rivals, but I watched a lot of others play it on the live stage, and I admit, it looks incredibly fun (hmm, office party games), I also like the idea of a HDMI version of myself after the Kinect has scanned me in with its HDMI camera (although I need to get in the gym more aswell, the cider belly might look silly)

Now we also know now that the Kinect 2 can be turned off, but also voice commands have the opportunity to be quite fun and having been a long time user of voice chat for gaming with my guild, I can see some really good uses for this (and the headset aswell of course)

But my main point for this is skype finally being properly viable on a big screen TV.  I use skype ALOT, especially video calls, I just need to remember to keep my front room tidy, not just my office ;)

Exclusives

Crimson Dragon

Kicking off the list is Crimson Dragon, a downloadable title that bears a strong resemblance to the Panzer Dragoon series (its from the same creator). This similarity is already giving the game some kudos from the gaming public, as the Panzer Dragoon series is well established as a classic.

It's been designed as an on rails Kinect shooter, but it'll also feature traditional gamepad controls, so those that don't like Kinect will still find it appealing. Visually impressive, it's a good start to the Xbox One's exclusives.

Dead Rising 3

Certainly one of the highest profile exclusives to grace the Xbox One's launch, Dead rising 3 from Capcom is a well-established zombie slasher, and its third incarnation is looking like the best yet.

It replaces the enclosed shopping mall setting with an open world, and ramps up the violence and freedom to unprecedented levels for the series. Vehicles will play a much bigger role, including customisation, and Kinect will grant more interaction, as zombies will be able to hear what's going on in your living room, and will react accordingly, Just ponder that fact for a moment...   THEY CAN HEAR YOU!!!

From a technical standpoint, such an impressive-looking open world title is a great way to demonstrate the power of a new consoles, and Capcom certainly knows how to get the most out of a machine's hardware, so Dead Rising 3 will surely be one of the best-selling exclusives on Xbox One.

Fighter Within

Yes, it's a Kinect-only, make yourself look like a total tool while jumping around the room, fighting game, but Fighter Within looks like it could be a good showcase title for the new and improved Kinect hardware. And, at launch, it's important for Microsoft to really get across the benefits and power of the new motion control system. After all, the Xbox One revolves around it to a degree.

Ubisoft is no stranger to being the first company to attempt something new with hardware (such as Red Steel on the Wii), and although we don't think it's a title that'll make Kinect haters run for the shops, it looks intriguing, in a gimmicky sort of way.

Forza Motorsport 5

Arguably the most important launch exclusive on the Xbox One, Forza 5 will be a critical title for Microsoft. Racing games sell, a lot, and Forza is considered by many to be the superior driving sim on the market, even toppling the mighty Gran Turismo from its pedestal.

Forza 5 has been developed solely to make use of the Xbox One's powerful hardware, and it's already apparent that this is one of the best-looking racing titles we've ever seen. Add to that an interesting 'Drivatar' system, which creates racing AI based on gamers' racing styles and uploads them to the cloud to take part on other people's games, and you've got what could be a truly great racing classic, and a perfect launch title for any console.

Killer Instinct

Microsoft's unravelling of the revival of Killer Instinct at E3 may not have generated the response the company would have hoped (the game's more of a niche underground classic amongst fighting fans than a mainstream big-hitter), but it's inclusion in the exclusive launch line up could be a very good thing for the new console.

A classic one-on-one fighter, the game is being released via XBLA as a free to play title with one character (Jago), with the option to purchase the remaining roster of fighters. Really, though, the 'free-to-play' badge should actually be replaced with 'demo', as giving one fighter away is nothing more than that, and charging $4.99 per fighter is pretty steep, whichever way you look at it.

Still, Killer Instinct has a loyal fan base, which could give the platform an advantage, and everyone likes a good, over-the-top combo-heavy fighter from time to time.

LocoCycle

This odd downloadable title from Twisted Pixel joins the launch exclusives, and features high-speed combat racing play. As a talking robotic motorcycle that, for some reason, drags its rider behind it, you have to chase down perps using an array of weapons and martial arts moves. Hmmm.

It's an odd one, and, to be honest, not the most appealing of the line up, but it still looks the part, and demonstrates Microsoft's intention of giving indie developers a bigger focus.

Peggle 2

The original Peggle is one of the most popular puzzlers ever released, and it sold very well indeed on the Xbox 360. Exclusive at launch (although this is a timed exclusive, so expect it to appear on other formats soon enough) Peggle 2 looks much like the first game in the series, but will obviously feature more levels and new power-ups. There'll also be customisation options for the Peggle Master characters.

It might not seem like a big deal, but bagging Peggle 2 as a lunch exclusive could be a good thing for the Xbox One. PopCap makes some damn fine puzzle titles that people play, a lot, and the Xbox One could capitalize on this.

Powerstar Golf

As golf games go, Powerstar Golf looks like it could be a decent enough title, filled with quirky characters and special abilities, but for a console launch it's a little out of place, especially as most hardened golf fans would prefer something a little more complex and realistic.

Still, perhaps the main reason for the game's arrival a launch is the social element, which the title does embrace. As with the PS4, the Xbox One is going to place a major focus on social networking, and this could be an early example of how games will make use of it.

Ryse: Son of Rome

Microsoft is pushing Crytek's Ryse with gusto, and for good reason. If there's one developer who can create something to really show off your new console's hardware, it's Crytek, and Ryse is looking like a very impressive hack and slasher.

Taking place, surprisingly enough, in Rome, Ryse will feature ultra-violent combat, both on the battlefield and in the gladiatorial arena, and although it initially seemed to be a bit of a QTE-fest, it's looking more and more like it'll boast some great gameplay to match the stunning visuals. One to watch, that's for sure.

Zoo Tycoon

This is another questionable inclusion for a launch exclusive, even if the Tycoon series is one of the most well-respected business sims around. Hardly a game to showcase the real capabilities of the Xbox One, it'll instead probably go down the social route, and it can't hurt to have some more sedate and cheerful entertainment to play when your new console arrives.

Zumba Fitness: World Party

The Wii kick-started the fitness video game trend with Wii Fit, and now there's a plethora of similar titles littering the market, with this Xbox One exclusive adding to the catalogue at launch.

Developed by Majesco, the next iteration of the popular Zumba series will be exclusive to the Xbox One at launch, but will arrive on other platforms, including the Xbox 360 and Wii U in October. It features over 40 new routines based in various dance styles from around the world and incorporates a new story mode to help you burn those calories and trim that waist.

The Xbox One's line up of launch exclusives is certainly varied, and it contains something for most kinds of player. More importantly, it includes three major big name titles in the form of Ryse, Dead Rising, and Forza, and it has a smattering of casual and Kinect games for good measure. Is it a particularly strong line up, though? We'd say no, not really.

As with the PlayStation 4, the Xbox One is lacking some of the big names you'd expect Microsoft to roll out in order to give the console the best chance possible. Xbox flagship title, Halo is isn't around, nor are other crowd pleasers like Gears of War. Impressive upcoming titles like Project Spark, Titanfall and Quantum Break are not arriving until next year, and the launch line up doesn't make great use of the indie market.

It's by no means a bad selection of titles, and when it comes to retail releases, many would argue that Xbox One has the best line up of the two consoles

Overall

The console is solid, the controller feels perfect (which is a surprise as we still say the 360 controller is perfect aswell) and having played on the PS4 this week at Eurogamer aswell, I am completely in the Microsoft camp in the next gen console wars.

Yes, of course I will be getting a PS4 aswell, but the exclusives on the XBox One, although not as ground breaking as if they included Halo 5 or a new Gears of War are good.   Forza being the main draw (remember, Gran Turismo 6 ISN'T a PS4 game, it's PS3)