[BLOG]: Origin 'Not That Different' Than Steam

Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

[BLOG]: Origin 'Not That Different' Than Steam

Post by Lonesamurai »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Valve co-founder confirms that he's "tried out" EA's digital distribution.

Valve co-founder Gabe Newell has spoken out about EA's digital distribution service, Origin.

In an interview with PC Gamer magazine, Newell confirms that he's "tried out" the service, and that he came away feeling neutral.

"I think it does some things well. I think there are still some areas where, as a customer, I'd like to see it improve," Newell said. "It's not that different from any other system like this. There are positive things and negative things."

Newell added that he understands that Steam can't stay on top forever, and that the company has to work hard to remain number one.

"I and everyone at Valve know that you're only as successful as what you've done lately," he said. "So the idea that Steam is somehow the answer to digital distribution ignores the fact that every two or three years, something is going to change dramatically."

Earlier this year, EA and Valve had a brief conflict over digital distribution, with EA commenting that Steam has rules "which are not imposed by other online game services."

Thanks, PC Gamer (via CVG).