[BLOG] STEAM Hacked/screwed up by incompetent server techs on Christmas Day... [Updated]

Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

[BLOG] STEAM Hacked/screwed up by incompetent server techs on Christmas Day... [Updated]

Post by Lonesamurai »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Update 3: Valve has issued a statement regarding today's issues.

"Steam is back up and running without any known issues," a Valve spokesperson told GameSpot. "As a result of a configuration change earlier today, a caching issue allowed some users to randomly see pages generated for other users for a period of less than an hour. This issue has since been resolved. We believe no unauthorized actions were allowed on accounts beyond the viewing of cached page information and no additional action is required by users."

Update 2: Steam appears to be back online, and the issues have seemingly been resolved. Valve has still yet to release any kind of official statement regarding today's incident.

Update: It now looks as if the Steam store may be down; numerous users, myself included, are unable to access it and are receiving an error when attempting to do so.

Also, while it's still unclear what's going on, Steam tracking website Steam Database has suggested this is all due to a caching issue. That said, the site recommends not attempting to remove your credit card, PayPal account, or anything of the sort. Whether that is indeed the best course of action remains to be seen, as Valve has still yet to officially comment on the situation.

Original Story: Steam is running into something of a catastrophe right now, giving players across the world access to other people’s accounts. It’s not yet clear how this is happening, but it’s a doozy.

Various players across the world are logging into their Steam clients to find that their homepage has changed to Russian or another random language. When they check the “account info” section of Steam, they find that they have access to another user’s account, complete with e-mail addresses, buying history, and other private information.

Going to Steam’s website will also grant you access to a random user’s account.

Based on some rudimentary testing I’ve done on my own Steam client, it seems like trying to view purchase histories and licenses will bounce around other random accounts, too, which is fun...

The account that my client accessed is using Steam Guard, the tool Valve provides to help prevent unauthorized account access. So clearly that hasn’t helped.

We’ve reached out to Valve for more information and will keep updating you guys as we learn more.

Until then, join us laughing at this, cos we all know it's about right...

Steam support right now pic.twitter.com/QZ8fozpPMD— Lucas Moura (@DrTeflon) December 25, 2015

Teehee... Damn hackers...
Merry Christmas all!