IGN: Microsoft Unveils Windows 8

Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

IGN: Microsoft Unveils Windows 8

Post by Lonesamurai »

As reported on IGN.Com today:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Microsoft Unveils Windows 8

New OS blurs the lines between tablets and desktops.

US, June 2, 2011

Yesterday at D9, Microsoft officially revealed Windows 8 to the world. Taking hints from their desktop and mobile operating systems, Windows 8 is clearly created for use on a tablet although can be utilized on a PC as well.

The UI for Windows 8 borrows heavily from the Metro UI seen on the Windows Phone 7 devices, complete with live tiles and a minimalistic design. Command input can be done using a keyboard and mouse setup but it is obvious that touch command is the preferred method.

Applications for Windows 8 will come in two flavors: traditional desktop programs and mobile apps by way of HTML5 and JavaScript. Both types of apps will be accessible through the UI, so you'll be able to use desktop versions of programs like Microsoft Excel and Word alongside mobile apps for things like weather and Twitter. Browsing on Windows 8 will be brought to you by Internet Explorer 10.

Navigation through the system relies on a gesture-based system and swiping apps and menus in and out is not unlike what we've seen on HP's webOS. Multitasking is included and allows you to "snap" multiple applications onto a single screen for viewing, an extremely handy feature that we have yet to see implemented well on a mobile device.

At Computex in Taipei, Windows 8 prototypes were shown, revealing a number of slates and smartbooks. The ARM-based devices were sporting hardware from Foxconn, Wistron and Quanta, with chips being provided by Qualcomm, Texas Instruments and NVIDIA.

A solid release date for Windows 8 has not been announced.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Source: http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/117/1172212p1.html
CrimsonShade
He's Technically Motivated

Re: IGN: Microsoft Unveils Windows 8

Post by CrimsonShade »

Read this on another Tech blog a few hours ago and was preparing to do my own write-up for Technically Motivated but I haven't found the time due to other commitments. However, I must say when I read this myself, as soon as I saw live tiles were becoming the main GUI concept, I was turned off. I wasn't a fan of the tiled layout Windows Mobile introduced and now they're only going and making it more pronounced... urgh.

I suppose it remains to be seen what the whole interface is going to look like and I should reserve judgement until we all know more; but I can say for now, my thoughts are along this lines of: Thank god I brought a full and official Windows 7 installation disk when they were cheap. Especially since my laptop seems to be playing up lately and I'd like to have a choice of what goes on any new computer I subsequently get if I get one...
Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

Post by Lonesamurai »

Aye, I am 50/50 on this myself... it is a massive step away from what people know and are used to (the easiest selling point windows has for those buying new machines preinstalled (the uninitiated of course))

However, I am getting myself a windows phone to play with, so my thoughts may change on the tiles, but then again, what works on a smartphone/touchpad may not work on a 24" or bigger monitor
CrimsonShade
He's Technically Motivated

Post by CrimsonShade »

And that's exactly my point. Much of Microsoft Windows' popularity has been them riding on the fact that people don't like change - which is why Windows has changed very little over time. Now, they threaten to tear up the entire rule book and radically alter everything. How many people will finally get over their fears and learn to adapt? Even I myself find it hard to get away from the traditional Windows environment, despite my hatred of Microsoft.

I bet alternative operating systems like Mac OS and Unix/Linux are smiling to themselves now - finally they may have the opportunity they need to be a contender. It's going to be an interesting journey, for sure...