[BLOG] Eurogamer 2013: The WiiU: first off the line and last to this party.

poultergeist0

[BLOG] Eurogamer 2013: The WiiU: first off the line and last to this party.

Post by poultergeist0 »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Now the WiiU is getting massively overlooked during this console war, but after returning from Eurogamer and seeing the new line ups for 2014 it’s high time for this underdog to jump back into the fight.

The Console

Contrary to popular belief (popular belief being a mixture of parents in toy stores and endless arguments with friends) The WiiU is NOT a portable Wii, the number of people that seem completely confused by the WiiU Gamepad is astounding, but I’ll get to the pad shortly.
The actual console is big, well compared to the Wii at least it’s only slightly wider than its older brother but it’s about twice as deep (and Heavy). This dramatic size increase is equally mirrored by the Game pad.

The Gamepad

Now this is the most outrageous controller redesign of any console in this, or come to think of it and generation. This is personally my favourite thing about the WiiU, The touch screen opens up so many creative avenues for Nintendo *cough* as well as an opportunity for them to port some of their more recent portable titles to the big screen *cough**cough* but unfortunately of the few games that they’ve released in the past year none of them fully grasp everything that this new control style has to offer.
The most inspired use so far has been an easy to access inventory. Hopefully some of the newer titles such as Wonderful 101 will explore this wonderful bit of kit more. And hey if you don’t like the giant screen on the pad you can always get a Pro Controller. (Which looks surprisingly similar to the current 360 controller)

The Games

There aren’t any …

This is the main issue with Nintendo of late, they’ve had a year’s head start on the competition and have literally done nothing with it, and most of the WiiU’s library consists of ports from other existing consoles.
But the few original games they do have, REALLY shine and my god is it bright. The main heavy hitter for me is surprise surprise a Mario game.

Super Mario Bros. U.

This is easily the best side scrolling Mario game since 3 and world. The level designs are some of the sharpest of any Mario game and they’ve FINALLY included new and interesting power ups and characters.
There is also a marvellous challenge mode that lets you show off your skills to all of you friends, just like when you’d take your copy of Mario 3 round to your friends 20 years ago just to rub it in that you knew where the hammers and warp whistles were. Except this time you can view it all online (slightly less personal but it fits into you now adult busy schedule)
You can also indulge in the absolute mayhem that is 5-Player local multiplayer, just trust me it has to be experienced.

Things to look Forward to

Sonic Lost Worlds

Yes for so many years the blue hedgehog has been subjected to subpar games. But after the turnaround that was Sonic generations, Sonic Lost world looks as if it’s going to finally prove to us that Sonic belongs in three lovely dimensions. The Super Mario Galaxy esc level designs really compliment how Sonic moves through the world. When I got my hands on this at Eurogamer it hit me “This is it! This feels like I’m back playing the original” I have never smiled so widely as I did when I realise that this game is Sonics rebirth into gaming.

Mario Kart 8

Every generation has its own version of this beloved franchise, they always provide a great time whilst playing and are arguably one of the best multiplayer games in existence. But (and this is a big one) there’s nothing massively different in this instalment bar the graphics and the ability to drive on walls, now I know the age old proverb of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” but innovation is the backbone of what made Nintendo what it is today.
Saying all that I’m still going to buy it … DON’T JUDGE ME!

Super Smash Bros. U

A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES! This game is the sole reason why 90% of Nintendo fans will purchase a WiiU if you ever wanted to settle the age old argument of who would win in a fight between Mario & Sonic (well you could have settled that in the Wii version) but now that annoying friend that always says “yeah but if Megaman…” can join in too. It’s a futile argument because LUIGI is the devourer of souls, but the can have their fun.
The new smash bros. offers even more character than any previous version, and with compatibility with its sister game Smash Bros 3D the possibilities are endless.
I just hope that the new developers Namco Banda can live up to the example set by HAL Laboratories in the previous games.

A Whole Lot of Indie Goodness

Now for all of you that have just realised that I have done nothing but talk about Mario & Sonic games. Yes that is unfortunately always going to be the main focus of Nintendo but probably the most exciting development for the WiiU is the insane amount of awesome indie support the system is providing.
Shovel Knight, Steamworld Dig, Scram Kitty, QUBE there is a massive list of quirky titles developed entirely by hipsters in a basement flat with no money between them. And that is an incredibly exciting thing, where the Nintendo have been very reserved in the past towards 3rd party content they seem to have seen the light and opened the floodgates. Now that may sound scary, But I’ll be damned if it’s not exciting.

Overall

So is the WiiU worth spending your hard earned money this Holiday season my honest answer is … No. But that’s not to say you shouldn’t get one, you almost definitely should, just wait for some of the future titles to hit the shelves.
But in the meantime you could do what I do and use it as an alternative to paying £1000 on a cartridge of Earthbound, £5.49 on the EShop DONE!
The WiiU is a great experience to play and I’m looking forward to see what Nintendo will bring to the system in the future.