[BLOG] No Man's Sky didn't use superformula; PC version delayed more

PredictedCyborg

[BLOG] No Man's Sky didn't use superformula; PC version delayed more

Post by PredictedCyborg »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

No Man's Sky has had one hell of a development ride. With disputes over the use of the word "Sky" in the UK to game delays leading to actual death threats, it seemed when the game was finally completed and put to disc that Hello Games' journey had finally been worth it.

Then a few days ago, Dutch company Genicap threw another spanner into the works. They claimed that No Man's Sky made use of a superformula to generate rank 3D shapes - and this type of use of said formula is one that Genicap have patented.

Of course, people have been worried that this is going to lead to another delay, but the lead developer of No Man's Sky Sean Murray took to Twitter to lay to rest speculation. In it he basically says that Genicap are wrong - they never used this superformula in the first place and therefore the claims don't have a leg to stand on.

I wish Johan Gielis, the author, all the best in future. We're going to meet and chat maths once the game is out
— Sean Murray (@NoMansSky) July 23, 2016

However, some people have noticed that the official site's date of release has been slightly changed if only just for the PC version. While previously it was coming out on August 9th, the date now reads August 12th. Not too bad but there's been no official word on the changed date or why.

At least it's not that much more time for something else to go pear-shaped for Hello Games...
Yes that's Minecraft-me in my av. Done by Reiu who is damn talented!