[BLOG] CES 2014: Intel Edison, The Memory Card Sized PC

Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

Post by Lonesamurai »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Every year, the TVs, phones and gadgets at CES seem to get bigger and bigger – but Intel’s reversing the trend with its brand new computer, the Intel Edison, which fits everything you need into a board the size and shape of an SD card. Raspberry Pi, eat your heart out.

This might look like the storage card for your compact camera, but make no mistake, this is a computer, with its own 22nm dual-core processor, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities.

It can run multiple operating systems, including Linux, and will be available for manufacturers and hobbyists this summer – price is still TBC, but we’re hoping it’s as low as the £25 Raspberry Pi computer.

Intel’s making a big push with wearable technologies this year at CES in Las Vegas – the company also showed off its own smartwatch prototype yesterday, although it is not planning to release it to the public – and it’s betting big that Edison will play a part in that.
One of its demonstrations showed the little computer working in harmony with sensor’s connected on a baby’s onesie, displaying temperature and even turning on a bottle warmer when the baby started to wake.

When you consider what hackers have turned the Raspberry Pi into, a robot, a media centre, a pet feeder and much more besides, the ideas a computer this small could be put to are dazzling.
CrimsonShade
He's Technically Motivated

Re: [BLOG] CES 2014: Intel Edison, The Memory Card Sized PC

Post by CrimsonShade »

What I want to know:

- What are its specs?
- What ports does it have?
- What price will it be?

Once all those are answered, THEN I'll tell you if I'm interested.
Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

Post by Lonesamurai »

Will be one to watch and see how this turns out