[BLOG] Smashdate! #1: I should have started these ages ago

poultergeist0

[BLOG] Smashdate! #1: I should have started these ages ago

Post by poultergeist0 »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

So at E3 2013 (yes I realise it was forever ago) Nintendo announced the next Smash Bros. on WiiU and 3DS, and ever since then they’ve been trickling info about the game.

So that’s what Smashdate! is here to do, keep you up to date on all the new announcements. Now this one is going to be a bit heftier than the ones that will follow due to the fact that we have started so late and the luscious pool of Brawl news has been rising since its announcement.

The Fighters Return:

Mario

The Italian Plumber is dropping his Toolkit into the fray once more. Mario is no big surprise to anyone he’s been in Smash since the start and with his healthy mix of range and average damage means that Mario has become a main for allot of Brawlers and a first choice for any newcomers to get to grips with the game

Luigi

Little Bro is back to show his Brawling prowess. Once again Luigi gets his opportunity to smack his big bro down a peg. With his floaty jump arc and heavy hitting smashes Luigi is not everyone’s first choice but he has worked his way into my heart with a safe spot as my second, so if you come at me you can be sure I’ll be sending some Green Thunder back your way

Peach

Kidnap victim no more Peach is here with her army of Toad shields and OP butt smashes, peach is a safe choice for any brawler despite her lack of speed, She has allot of recovery potential and can deal some massive damage.

Bowser

Have you ever hated someone so much that you just dream of one day pummelling their face into the dust? Well Brawl is once again making Bowsers dream come true because what is Mario without the King Koopa?.. Happy? Bowser is your typical tank Big, Slow and Packs a Punch. I find Bowser a hard beast to tame although he does pack some handy self-sacrifice moves if you’re in a pinch.

Donkey Kong

He's the leader of the bunch, you know him well.
He's finally back to kick some tail.
His Coconut Gun can fire in spurts.
If he shoots ya, it's gonna hurt!
He's bigger, faster, and stronger too.
He's the first member of the DK crew!
Well he doesn’t actually have a gun, but this old school Kong has a cannon for a right hook. Dk’s AOE attacks coupled with that crazy charge punch makes him a favourite among newcomers.

Kirby

SUCK IT UP SOLDIER!!! This little pink puffball is tougher than he/she/it…(I don’t fucking know) looks Kirby’s ability to mimic a foes B move makes him a force to be reckoned with, and the fact that he can fly for a considerable amount of time only makes him more of a threat.

King DeDeDe

Announced earlier this week the King of Dreamland has marched his army of Waddledoo’s to the gates of Smash. Another heavy hitter DeDeDe’s Jet powered hammer can clear a screen in seconds; his main downfall is his incredibly risky recovery move that makes him plummet down after reaching its apex.

Link

Hey! Listen! Link has been a part of Nintendo for just as long as the Plumber himself so know how to hold his own equipped with the triple B assault (that’s Bow, Bombs and Boomerang) Links agile move set means he’s one to watch out for. If you prefer a fast character but still want to pack a punch then Link is the Brawler for you

Zelda

Another princess has decided to take matters into her own hands Zelda packs a gigantic arrow of light to smite her enemies, now normally Zelda can transform into Sheik but judging by the screenshots on the smash website Sheik is missing from Zelda’s move set instead she is seen controlling a Darknutt to smack the triforce of wisdom right out of Fox McCloud.

Toon Link

With Windwaker back on shelves it’s no surprise that Toon Link is back for round two, his small stature in no way limits his strength in brawl he pack more of a punch than the original Link but was always a little slower. Toon Link is my choice just because well just look at that face.

Marth

Marth …. Marth …. I should really play Fire Emblem at some time …. Fuck, Oh well on to the fighting style. Marth has similar speed and reach as Link but packs a bit more of a punch, his downside is allot of his power moves require a short charge time meaning that if you pick this Lord you’ll need to time your strikes well.

Sonic

Rolling around at the speed of sound this Speed daemon debuted in Brawl but was the subject of numerous playground rumours during the Melee days. Sonic used his crazy speed to run rings around other Brawlers but my god be careful with him because I guarantee that 90% of your deaths as sonic will be self-inflicted.

Pikmin & Olimar

This little green thumbed Spaceman has returned to throw his sentient vegetable patch about the battlefield. Olimar's power is in his Pikmin making him very difficult to play unless you’ve practised. Looking at the screenshots it appears that the Stone and Flying Pikmin from the 3rd instalment won’t be joining his arsenal.

Samus

From Brinstar to Zebes, Samus is one chick that can kick your teeth in across the cosmos. Her massive arsenal of Charge Cannons, Missiles and Morph Bombs makes Samus a versatile Brawler that can take on any matchup.

Fox McCloud

He’s becoming more like his farther. Fox is a Nintendo classic but he’s not saving Slippy or that small triceratops (not sure which was more annoying) today instead he’s using his Cyber legs to dart across the battlefield and put a size 9 up your backside. He’s become the staple for showdown matches in Smash (Final Destination, Not Items, Fox only) for a reason. Now I just wish they could make another Starfox with Arwings AND NOT FUCKING DINOSAURS!!!!

Pikachu

PIKA! Everyone knows Pikachu with his face so cute you just want to punch it. Pika packs more punch than a 9V battery calling down Thunderbolts like Thor. Pikachu’s ranged mores will rack up damage to any foe.

Pit

From the land of ancient myth, where gods and titans make the Sky fall and the Earth shatter comes a little fairy boy who has the spammiest attacks this side of 2,000 B.C. Pit is and easy character to pick up but my god do I hate him with an unquenchable passion? Fuck his buzz saw move.

Now on to the new comers this is the best part of a new smash seeing all the new fighters that we can play with for 5 min before going back to our mains. So in true smash fashion.

[*ALARM*]
A Challenger Approaches

Rosalina & Luma

Rosalina has been appearing all over the mushroom kingdom of late, most recently appearing in Super Mario 3D World so it’s no wonder that she is taking up wands in smash and she’s not alone she has her trusty companion Luma that by the looks of it will mirror her moves in an ice climber type fashion.
But so far all I’ve had to go off is the announcement trailer so all theories in the comments please and I’ll try and include them in Smashdate #2

Villager

This is an odd one, now I’ve never played animal crossing but if it’s not a game about serial Killers I’d be surprised because that is the face of death right there… but the villager does seem to have a very interesting move set, with his pocket move that allows him to steal any projectile headed his way and his axe …. OH GOD THE AXE ….. AAAAAAAAAgh!!!

Megaman

Now I’m quite a calm person with emotions ranging from Meh to Meeeeh on a good day but OH MY FUCKING GOD if I didn’t lose my shit when Nintendo reviled Megaman at E3 last year. I played my first Megaman game last year and I’ve been in love ever since. The move set he comes to Smash with is equally as phenomenal with moves from all the NES robot masters he will me a fun character to play around with.

also I really want to find that Dr. Willey Metal Mix

Wii Fit Avatar

Yeah… ok … this is a thing. Not sure who wanted it buuuuut ok. Fighting style wise she look ok agile with decent jump height but I just feel that they have used up a space they could have given to a far more intriguing character.

And if you want to see who I think would be a better contender check out this video I made god know how long ago (NSFW)

Well that’s all the fighters up to date and I’ll be back with another Smashdate! soon. In the meantime I’m gonna sit here and hope the bring Wario back I am literally losing sleep over it. But there was a screen cap of Ashley from the Wario Ware games so it’s looking promising for my Garlic fueled Main.