[BLOG] Schizophrenia 2014, Published by SEGA

Digmbot

[BLOG] Schizophrenia 2014, Published by SEGA

Post by Digmbot »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Hot on the heels of denying the existence of a new Sonic title for PS4, XBOX ONE and Wii U ([UPDATED] New Sonic Games and Movie/TV Show Are Coming. Yay?)

SEGA has announced the third title in the Nintendo Exclusivity deal. The title is “Sonic Boom”, a Wii U and 3DS game set to tie in with the upcoming Sonic Boom CGI television series.

While this puts to bed questions any rumors about the nature of the third Nintendo exclusive, it's also causing a bit of a stir. The main issue seems to be the design of the characters which is...unique. Thats if you are being charitable. Personally, I think they are terrible, particularly Knuckles. As one of my own station colleagues pointed out, it was always nice to have Knuckles be the strongman character without being BUFF. Yet now, he’s an overblown block of muscle perched atop tiny toothpick legs.

And lets not even get started on how trashy Amy looks. REALLY SEGA?

Furthermore, this is yet another example of SEGA continually sticking their foot in their mouth. After categorically denying rumors that the sign at the Nuremberg toy fair showing a new Sonic title were incorrect, they turn around and unveil a brand new title. Its literally like the left hand doesn’t know what the right is doing.

I’m a long time SEGA fan, but even my patience is beginning to wear thin. First they deny that something exists. Then they tell us it does. To top it all off, they don’t confirm or deny that it will be on PS4 or XBOX ONE. They CLAIM it’s a Nintendo exclusive. But we all know exclusivity in the console world lasts about as long as a stack of twenty dollar bills in Vegas. Bottom line, SEGA is making themselves look almost as dumb as Microsoft did at E3 last year with the XBOX ONE. We all know they are making a new Sonic game. We all know its going to be coming out soon. So when information gets slipped, don’t deny it and then turn around and confirm it. We aren’t stupid! Just say “Yep. You caught us! New Sonic Game! Free plushies for everyone! Oh, and we’re sorry about Sonic 2006. The developers responsible have been fed to Shigeru Miyamoto as a sacrifice so they would keep Sonic in the new Smash Bros!”

After some very disappointing games (looking at you Sonic 2006) and the blatant cash cow milking of the Mario & Sonic Olympic game’s series, I’m beginning to wonder if it might not be time to put the Blue Blur out to pasture for a bit. or forcibly wrest control of the character from SEGA. If the past few days have been any indication, they sure don’t know what they are doing with the franchise!

And here's what I think in video form...

-Digmbot