[BLOG] Sandwich Masters: A Funny New Card Game Hits Kickstarter!

CrimsonShade
He's Technically Motivated

[BLOG] Sandwich Masters: A Funny New Card Game Hits Kickstarter!

Post by CrimsonShade »

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Big Punch Studios are at it again. The UK-based studio of comic creators responsible for 7STRING, Afterlife Inc., The Heavenly Chord, Cat & Meringue and Big Punch Magazine - among other projects - has taken to Kickstarter to fund a brand new project - but this time, the team is going down a whole new avenue.

Sandwich Masters is Big Punch Studios' first attempt to create a brand new card game with a wacky, somewhat twisted style of humour only comic artists truly master. The game, which is for 2 to 4 players in standard form, involves using ingredient cards - some good, some bad - to construct sandwiches to order, aiming to be the first to fulfil a specific request and earn the cash, while sabotaging your opponents and hoping you won't get sabotaged yourself - first to 50 "noshbucks" wins. Or, as the Kickstarter puts it:

Sandwich Masters is a fast-paced, colourful card game with a slightly twisted sense of humour for two to four players. Players race to build sandwiches and complete orders using the correct ingredient cards. The winner is the first player to earn 50 noshbucks.

But in the battle to earn the most money, standards are easily forgotten. You see, each good ingredient has an evil counterpart. Hungry customers won't notice the difference (is that bacon or facon, sliced beef or a live cow?) but if someone plays a Health Inspector card, you’re in trouble. Throw in Attack Condiments (broken glass, a sneeze), Vegetarian Rats and the occasional Poop Flood and it's a recipe for disaster!
(Poop Flood... ewww...)

The standard game will come with 180 Cards making up three decks, and printed instructions for how to play. Should the project beat its £5,000 target, further stretch goals tempt the prospect of additional cards; while a total of £8,500 or more will lead to the expected print run being doubled.

The Kickstarter is open for 30 days, with a backing of £15 or more securing one set of the cards, which aim to get delivered by January 2015. For the first 20 backers to take the perk, a pledge of £40 or more will earn you the title of SANDWICH LORD and allow you to design your own Attack Condiment, which will be turned into a one-off card to be included with your copy of the game, and the pack will be signed by the team. So what are you waiting for?
Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

Re: [BLOG] Sandwich Masters: A Funny New Card Game Hits Kickstarter!

Post by Lonesamurai »

I would have written this article myself, but I was lucky enough to playtest this (you'll see me in the video too)
The game is hilariously fun to play, I really enjoyed the shear back stabbing each player did and the artwork is top notch on every card
CrimsonShade
He's Technically Motivated

Re: [BLOG] Sandwich Masters: A Funny New Card Game Hits Kickstarter!

Post by CrimsonShade »

Courtesy of Big Punch Studios via their Kickstarter today, here's a 100-second promotional video that both talks about Sandwich Masters and demonstrates how to play the game:

I found the video really easy to follow; it went at a good pace and the voiceover has very clear diction. As for the game itself - I believe Sandwich Masters is quite simple in concept, but likely to get hectic in execution. The fact you can only have a maximum of four sandwiches being constructed at one time encourages you to plan out how you use your ingredients wisely; and while there's a nice risk/reward dynamic in that bigger sandwiches earn more money, the longer you leave a sandwich incomplete, the more likely it's going to be sabotaged. This, combined with the ethical dilemma of "do I use an evil ingredient to finish this sandwich quicker and risk a Health Inspector card taking the whole thing away" makes this a very strategic challenge as well. I really can't wait to get my hands on some cards to try it out proper!