Duke Nukem Reviews Cause PR Storm

Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

Post by Lonesamurai »

The Redner Group dropped by 2K Games over Twitter comments.

US, June 15, 2011

The Redner Group, a third-party public relations agency, was dropped by its client 2K Games today after the firm threatened to withhold future review copies of games sent to media outlets due to the reviews surrounding Duke Nukem Forever.

The Redner Group, which represented Duke Nukem Forever, said on Twitter yesterday, "Too many went too far with their reviews…we r reviewing who gets games next time and who doesn't based on today's venom." The tweet has since been deleted. Jim Redner, the owner, later apologized for the tweet and sent an e-mail to press members saying, "Though I didn't name names, I did say that I thought some reviews had gone too far in tone. Meaning, that the tone of some of the reviews was poor. I respect the scores, it had to deal with the tone. I was unable to properly convey that in 140 characters."

Additionally he said in the letter, "We are all entitled to our opinions regardless of score, tone or meaning. My response was a juvenile act on my part. I know better and my emotion got the best of me. I have worked very hard on this project. I want it to succeed. I just got upset and acted out."

Earlier this morning, 2K Games issued a statement saying. "2K Games does not endorse the comments made by Jim Redner and we can confirm that The Redner Group no longer represents our products. We have always maintained a mutually-respectful working relationship with the press and do not condone his actions in any way."

Below is the letter from Jim Redner posted in full:
Hello,

I would like a quick moment of your time to humbly ask for your forgiveness. I made a major error in judgment. I acted out of pure emotion without any thought to what I was saying. It is with a sad heart that I come to you now asking that you forgive me. I posted a Tweet this evening saying that I was reviewing The Redner Group's policy for future reviews of video games based on today's Duke Nukem Forever scores. I must state for the record I was acting on my behalf. 2K and all other clients had nothing to do with my comment. I want to be very clear that this came through me and was in no way affiliated with any of my clients especially my former client 2K.

Though I didn't name names, I did say that I thought some reviews had gone too far in tone. Meaning, that the tone of some of the reviews was poor. I respect the scores, it had to deal with the tone. I was unable to properly convey that in 140 characters. But that it beside the point. We are all entitled to our opinions regardless of score, tone or meaning. My response was a juvenile act on my part. I know better and my emotion got the best of me. I have worked very hard on this project. I want it to succeed. I just got upset and acted out.

I believe we are all allowed to voice our opinions and that opinions by their very nature are correct. Many of you quickly pointed out my error in judgment. For that I thank you and apologize.

I truly respect what you do. You have helped me achieve a little bit of success in this industry. I depend upon you. Your coverage is of the utmost importance to me. You have helped me secure coverage for all of the projects that I have touched. I have tried to treat you all with respect, dignity and honesty. Tonight I threw that all away, and I am extremely sorry.

The video game industry is an industry that I love. I have tried to dedicate myself to this industry. Tonight I failed the industry.

With much respect, I hope that when we meet again you will be able greet me with a smile and without malice. I will gladly do the same.

I am truly sorry for what I did. I know better than that. If I have caused you any issues, now or in the past, I apologize.

Best of luck,

Jim Redner
WiseMasterUk

Re: Duke Nukem Reviews Cause PR Storm

Post by WiseMasterUk »

I haven't actually played this game yet, but I have seen a few of the review and they are very mixed, so say it is a breath of fresh air and that it is a great game and others say that it is no call of duty. Which to be honest I find stupid because the last duke nukem was as everybody knows came over 14 years ago so you cannot come out with judgements like that. I can see why the makers got angry but to be totally honest the game just looks to be lacking something, for example most shops brought the game out at £34.99 which does not really sound cheap but any game that is released at that price is usually sub par and the price cut is there to make up for the quality. Anyway you can easily expect the reviews to be mixed because Call of Duty, Battlefield are totally different games to Duke Nukem, it is like comparing the films Black Hawk Down with Machete, both are rated similar but have totally different audiences, so mixed reviews are guaranteed.
Lonesamurai
Big Kahuna

Re: Duke Nukem Reviews Cause PR Storm

Post by Lonesamurai »

From what I've played of it so far, its more Crysis/Half Life 2... not CoD or Battlefield